Can't get Steel Gauges to work w/WD

I have recently switched over from VWS to WD and am having a heck of a time getting the Steel Gauges to work with WD. I’m certain it’s something I am missing in the setup. The gauges ran fine on VWS.

I am running the latest version of WD - 10.37S b44 on a Win10 laptop. I have downloaded a fresh version of the Steel Gauges release (v 2.4.3) and have followed the instructional video Brian has on YouTube. The only difference in my installation is that I am using a sub-directory of “ssg” and am uploading the customclientraw.txt file to the root directory of my website. I have modified gauges.js to utilize the WD file and set the $ssgdir folder as follows:

• “realTimeUrlWD : ‘…/customclientraw.txt’, //*** WD Users: Change to your location of the ccr file ***”

I am also using the Saratoga templates and wxssgauges.php routine. The result is a webpage that shows some of the layout but no gauges. A direct link to the gauges on my website follows:

Interestingly, if I go directly to the gauges-ss-basic.htm I do see the gauges but it indicates the station is off-line and not being updated. See the following that shows these symptoms:

If I upload a current version of the customclientraw.txt file to my ssg folder, that data is then displayed but still shows as being offline. So, I suspect I have the setting for that file entered incorrectly in the gauges.js file.

I’m at a loss as to what could be wrong. Any help would be appreciated!

i suspect the problem is with your path variable to where the customclientraw.txt file is
using …/
make it look up a directory

where exactly in your directory heirachy on your web site is the file?
is it up 2 levels, or in a different directory, or?

The ssg directory is one level down from the root.

I think you mean up
(think of the root server being at the start/bottom)

where is that ssg directory in relation to where the customclientraw file is?
and is this ssg directory where the steel gauges scripts files are do you mean?
that part is not all that clear

Okay, terminology is getting in our way.

The website root is http://carsonvalley weather.com. So, I think it would look like the following:

ROOT

• ssg
    • css
    • fonts
    • images
    • scripts
      • src

Does this make sense to you? The clientraw and customclientraw files are being ftp’d to the ROOT folder. The customclientrawlocal.txt file is also in that same folder.

you might need to experiment
try changing
“realTimeUrlWD : ‘…/customclientraw.txt’, //*** WD Users: Change to your location of the ccr file "
to
"realTimeUrlWD : ‘./customclientraw.txt’, //
WD Users: Change to your location of the ccr file ***”

someone else might chime in

Well, it looks like the gauges.js somehow was cached in the browser. I looked at the contents of that file and discovered that it was an old version prior to my initial setup of Steel Gauges. So, I deleted the gauges.js file from the server and then uploaded a new copy of it from my computer and things started to change. Further work this morning revealed that I needed to change the customclientraw.txt reference location as follows:

• realTimeUrlWD : ‘…/…/customclientraw.txt’, //*** WD Users: Change to your location of the ccr file ***

And voila, things started working and referencing the current customclientraw.txt file located in root. However, the display is not updating so I still have more work to do on it. I also see the timer/counter doesn’t seem to be wide enough to display the counter contents. And, also, I notice the rollovers for the gauges is showing a broken image icon so there is more to work on… ](*,)

Anyway, thanks for the help. Will continue to dig through this and see what is causing the other issues with my SSG displays.

good tip about going up 2 directory levels that
using a double dir change (…/)