Erratic Graphs

Can anyone explain the bizarre graphs I have attached? This is 10.37R Build 81 running remotely stationless, receiving the data from another machine running WD on the same LAN. Another computer also running stationless on the same LAN using the same WD load behaves normally, and all machines are running Windows 10 64-bit. This just started a few days ago, first only a few abnormalities, then advancing to almost constant aberrations. No, this is NOT the Davis Vantage Pro 2, which displays perfectly on the host computer running WD nor on the other stationless remote computer running WD. Only on one of the remote computers. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling WD, to no avail. How can I troubleshoot this?

No one has ever seen this before? It’s a complete mystery?

its not very clear how this version of WD is setup to receive data exactly?

I just followed the instructions for setting up WD for remote stationless use, here is a screenshot of the setup details. But after reviewing this screen I realized that I also have a media server on the same LAN that uses port 333 for SSH/SFTP access–is it possible that some kind of network polling from this server could be introducing the WD aberrations I’m seeing? I’m not sure that makes any sense though, because again I have another computer on the LAN also set up the exact same way to run WD remotely in stationless mode, and it doesn’t have this problem…

how do you have the share data and logfile setting set in the setup, advanced/misc setup?

It has never been touched, I didn’t even know about this screen until you asked–and again it also hasn’t been touched on the other remote machine that is working correctly. I should also point out that the actual readings are correct, it’s just the spikes that are anomalous. Also, I just changed the SFTP port on that server and it made no difference, I’m still getting the spikes…

Capture.JPG

which version of WD is the server version, that is supplying the client version?
have you tried using the latest version of WD?
build 81 is very old

The server was using the same old version, so I updated to the latest 10.37S on the website. But the problem remains–it didn’t fix it. Again, I also changed the SFTP port on that media server so port 333 is now unique to WD, at least as far as I know…

normally this problem results from a ‘stale’ clientraw feed or it could be that there is another version of WD running that is sending data that its picking up as well

There are 3 machines running WD on the network, only one is connected to the Davis weather station and set for server mode. The other two machines are running the same version of WD (now) both in stationless mode, and one of them is working perfectly while the other is showing these graph aberrations. I’ve tried uninstalling and reinstalling, it made no difference. I guess I could completely delete the WD directory and all of the locally stored data if you think it would make a difference…

Also, I just caught the temperature reading jump up 3 degrees and then quickly jump back down 3 degrees to the correct reading. I had not seen that before, I just assumed the graph was the only problem. But the entire program engine believes this is real data…

I would try starting over with WD settings
i.e delete the wdisplay.ini settings file (when WD is not running)
and delete the wdisplayftp.ini settings file in the registry (using regedit.exe)

I didn’t find any settings in the registry, but I did delete the file and start over with the config. Of course it’s not much of a config since there is no weather station. Anyway, it didn’t fix the problem…

Very strange that only data from the console is being affected, data from external sensors appears ok. Do you by any chance use offsets? It’s the only guess I can come up with since it appears the data is changing by a set amount, then returning to the actual reading.

No offsets are being used AFAIK. Once upon a time the weather station was attached to this computer, but I thought I had wiped out the WD install when I decided to use a dedicated laptop to run the station and then use remote stationless display for the desktop computer. How can I make sure there are no offsets?

It’s also strange that this effect is so episodic and intermittent, almost has to be associated with some other phenomenon but I can’t imagine what. Today so far it’s relatively stable…

You have two clients, one works, one doesn’t - is that right?
Are the two clients similar set ups, like same OS, and WD installed in the same directory?

If so I suggest try this: Follow the WD backup procedure for the good client, copy over the resulting .ini and reg files to the bad client, execute the reg file to load those settings into the bad client registry. The forum FAQ “moving to a new PC” item has a full procedure description.

Sorry for the delayed reply, have been out of town on an unexpected trip. Anyway, your assumptions were correct, and so was your suggested cure. I copied the wdisplay.ini file and the registry file from the well behaved machine on the network and it instantly fixed the erratic graphs. I wish I knew how/why this machine went nuts to begin with, but for now I’m happy to have it fixed. Thanks very much for the suggestion!