Weather Display goes flat line

Thanks! I will try it with a powered USB hub and see what happens.

Flat-lined impressively last night, but WD didn’t stop logging or graphing.

When it recovers itself like this I have no chance of recovering the lost data.

This time I noticed the flat-lining before WD recovered, and was able to alter the start time in the history reader when I restarted WD.

Log shows flat-line values from 2009-2146 and then starts again at 2009 with correct history values.

P.S. this flat-line was entirely my own fault!

My Weather Display is flat lining again. It is random. It seems to come back on its own most of the time. Other times I shut down the program and restart it along with removing the USB cable and reattaching it. I noticed the last time it did the Weather Display “Data Received” kept counting data received with a flashing green light. I have tried different USB cable, moving to a powered USB hub and moving the Oregon Scientific WMR200 display unit. I have set the USB ports so they will not go to sleep. I have attached a picture of the latest Weather Display display.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am on the Weather Underground as station KOHPATAS3.

what shows in the separate wmr200 decode program when there is no new data updates (i.e the data is the same all the time)
also the version you have is nearly a year old

The data on the WMR200 hardware display updates with the current data if that is what you are asking. I don’t know what you mean about the wmr200 decode program. I have been fighting this for a long time. Shall I update to the latest version of WD?

the wmr200 decode program is a separate running program in the system tray
yes I would at least be using the latest version

I just updated to your latest version. I will see what happens.

the key is I need to know what shows in the separate running wmr200 program if and when the problem happens again

I will let you know Brian. Thanks for your help!!

I’m still flat-lining on a random basis. New computer, dedicated to WD 24/7 (10.37S55), direct USB connection. Today WMR200 decoder just shows “Resetting registry”, event log is empty, last few days of debug info attached. All the data was saved on the console logger and downloaded to WMR200history.txt

1. Your March mod to stop logging/graphing on flat-lining doesn’t work.

2. If I convert WMR200history.txt to data, how do I add it to logs and send it to WUnderground?

3. I’m embarrassed to be part of WUnderground reporting, they used to get more data when I turned the old machine off every night and they got all the history data in the morning.

P.S. Why does debug file show “resetting overnight minimum temp” at 2100 when I have it set to reset at midnight?

Debug.PNG

P.S. Why does debug file show "resetting overnight minimum temp" at 2100 when I have it set to reset at midnight?
that is actually refereing to the 9am daily min temp I will remove that from the log

i do not know why you still have usb problem
when I am not seeing others with this exact same problem

I don’t want to jinx my station but since I updated the Weather Display to the latest version I have had no issues of flat lining. Is this just a coincidence or was there something that was updated that fixed the problem??? Who knows. I am happy it is working fine now.

Did it again at 0530 this morning. . . but might not be a USB problem, plenty of other people report flat-lining.

Anyway, it would be good if WD stopped logging/graphing when it flat-lines. Maybe also stop uploading clientraw and reporting to WUnderground, too? That way WU would get the missing history data on restart.

not sure I would agree with your statements
which particular user?

I have already put in place for you code to check for flat line so that WD stops logging
are you sure you are using a recent version

Devil, for one!

I know you put in code to stop logging: if you look back in this thread I tested it for you in March before you incorporated it into build S45. I tested it the simplest way: by pulling out the USB plug. What I have been trying to tell you since then (also in this thread) is that it doesn’t seem to work in real life. . .

I’m using build S57.

but Devil does not have a WMR200
so no comparison
and it could have simply been that he had windows set to power down the USB

I will fire up my WMR200 and test the pulling the plug and investigate for you

try this update
http://www.weather-display.com/downloadfiles/weatherdisplaytest.zip

before certain ducks needed to be lined up (which I had made tighter because the original change I made to please you I suddenly got emails from people who were getting problems with their wmr200 when they were not before)

I have redone it
there is info under view debug info, about what WD is up to
WD will exit then restart the separate wmr100/200 data reader

if still no data after a couple of minutes then WD will stop logging (and this is noted under view, debug info)

Wow! Where to start? I will try the test update, thank you. But I may not report for some time: I will wait for the next flat-line rather than initiating one.

Quote: “but Devil does not have a WMR200 so no comparison”. There is one common denominator for all reports of flat-lining - we are all running WD. As Devil says: “I thought to myself that if it can happen with one type, what is there to stop it happening with any other?”

Quote: “and it could have simply been that he had windows set to power down the USB”. Why are you so convinced that flat-lining is a USB problem? The fact that your S45 mod for WMR200 works when the USB plug is pulled but appears not to work when WD actually flat-lines suggests otherwise.

Quote: “. . . I suddenly got emails from people who were getting problems with their wmr200 when they were not before”. It’s a shame these people couldn’t go public on the forum so we could all benefit from the discussion.

don’t try to make things out of nothing
there is huge differences between weather station types
and those people who emailed me did not have problems like you were getting
I can’t understand why you are not now running this version (which I have tested with my WMR200 by disconnecting it etc) and I went to the trouble of working on for you etc