Davis debris screen alternative :)

Just wanted to share, for those in the UK with a Davis rain gauge, Wilkos sink strainer for 50p it is a 100% perfect fit and highly
unlikely to blow out and a better screen too :smiley: will try grab a photo when its drier out there

This is what I mean, fits perfectly into the opening, no movement

The mesh ones work better for me, most of my debris would go through those holes.

I was trying to find a sieve like that, or the same size as the OS one, thats perfect too as used in the OS/Davis mod

From IKEA, frying ladle :smiley:
That’s what i use, just took off the shaft :lol:

I have gotten them from the hardware store, but IIRC the last ones were from ebay/asia.

I think Bashy’s would be a perfect target for thieving magpies :lol:

Thankfully ive not seen any maggies around here as yet, but for 50p i couldnt not try it to see how it would fit :smiley:

Anything form Ikea is gonna be silly money 8O, wonder if OS sell the screen separately?

mmmmm https://www.amazon.com/Oregon-Scientific-Wireless-Gauge-SCREEN/dp/B00I3LEVD0

Ikea it is then
 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The OS one used to have a loop of red thread on it, and was forever “going for a walk” with the magpies until the thread broke off. Hasn’t moved since.

Where did you get your replacements? OS USA have them at 12 dollars or so but would sting on shipping :confused:

The birds always dropped it nearby, all I had to do was put it back in the funnel!

I have the mesh one that was in the OS WMR928N in my VP2 bucket. I found out early on that the birds did like to pick it up and drop it on the ground so I put in a small but weighty stone to hold it down and that it how it has been for over 9 years.