Raspberry Pi and Weather Display

So I have a Pi
This is an Raspberry Model B
And I have some question to the forum.

1. Can this be used to collect data from a WP1400 ? ( http://www.appelklyftig.com/familj/vader/wp1400alterego.htm )
  2. What is the forums recommendation for OS ? NetBSD, Raspbian, Debian ARM, Kali Linux, RaspBSD…
  3. Is there a consideration for disk ? 4,8,16 GB What would one need?
  4. Can it be run headless?

selecting a WH1081 type station it should work
consolewd runs without the need for xwindows so yes it run as headless once setup

So what is the forums advice on OS ?
(what do You recommend)

And

“consolewd” only picks up data from the station local on the disk so if I wanted to display the data I need to send it to a webserver?
Is that correct?

the built in OS that comes with the pie I think you will find works well enough
consolewd does have FTP support and you can also send to Wunderground

Built in OS that comes with the pie???
I did not know that there was a built in OS?

Read for “built-in” default - most used - standard

Raspberry Pi OS – Raspberry Pi => Raspbian is the Foundation

LOL !
I see
Sorry for that comment and plenty thx for the replay

I also have ordered an PI 3 wich will arrive tomorrow.

So if i understand the consoleWd can run on his self on the PI 3

I’m used to work with wd on a windows system, but i want to save costs on electrical consumption.

I’m used to work wich the log files weather display generates, because i use my data to put it apart in an excel file.

Can you upload this log files on the webserver with consolewd (also extra logfiles, for example: soil temperature)

I have the vp2 plus weather station.

At wvdkuil, i’m from belgium so if possible can you help me with this by email?

consolewd does update the same format WD logfiles
make sure to use the 64 bit version for the raspberry pi 3
http://www.weather-display.com/downloadfiles/consolewd64.tar.gz

My PI3 is arrived and up and running.

I’m following the install instructions made by wdvkuil but i’m stuck at point 1.1… I cant change the sources.list file …

what is that instruction line exactly?

I’m stuck at this point, 1.1:

I cant save the file

Another question, with the console version, can you see the program it self like in a windows version? Or do i have to run the full linux to see everything on a virtual os

I cant save the file => That is a system file you have to modify so you need to have the highest permissions to do that.
sudo => sudo - Wikipedia
Or use the editor in root mode.

can you see the program it self like in a windows version?
No but you can see the program doing its thing when you “connect a display or use VNC”, it shows a dynamic log window, line by line spitting out what it is doing.

The name of the program is consoleWD. console => is a typewriter-like device without a GUI, no printing of current weather values. That makes less overhead so it is extremely small and fast as that was important in the time it was developed.

It can generate / upload / store a few html files containing most weather-data to use in a browser. Those 4-5 pages evolved into the original first Carterlake-template. A Raspberry has also a complete website, so you can use a browser to check those pages.

Hope this helps, but if “sudo” and “root mode” sound like Dutch or Swedisch to you, you should consider using 1. another device or 2. another program or 3. both another program and another device.

Wim

Hi Wim,

I just did everything like in the tutorial and now i’m stuck at point 2.6

when i’m trying to start the console i’m getting this message:

Error while loading shared libraries: libhid.so.0: Cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory

I’ve copied the file so.0.0 to so.0 but nothing happens, still the same message

Greetings
Gianni

I have no acces to a raspberry, not even to the document you are using, but there is more then one answer using Google, one on this forum:
http://discourse.weather-watch.com/p/460225

Wim

Hi Wim,

Thanks a lot!!

This post on the thread you send was the sollution

http://discourse.weather-watch.com/p/460198

Allright, now i plugged my Davis VP2 in the PI3 (working with the 64 version) and when i start the consolewd, everything is going fine untill he’s setting the baud rate line:

Setting baud rate to 19200 → 0

After that line i’m getting this for about 100 times:

ser_read error Resource temporarily unavialable

then i’m getting:

waking vp

and then:

requesting data

And nothing happens…

What’s going wrong?

Maybe Brian can help my out with this?

Thanks in advance

Did you use the USB logger with Weatherlink?
If so, maybe the logger is set to the proprietary “USBExpress mode” protocol of Davis.

Also it would help to post the first part of config.txt in the consolewd folder you are using

Weather station type=31 // WMII=33,Irox=59,WMR100=232,WMR200=233,WMR968=8,WMR918=3,Davis VP=31,Davis WMMII=4, WH1081=166,2310=60,WXT510=190,3600=61,Davis IP=32, OWWfile=71

An Davis USB logger in standard mode should be used and station type should be 31
Wim

No, i never used weatherlink, always WD on my windows system with an USB datalogger
(had to run the silabs.com program to make a virtual com port on my windows system)

This is my config.txt file:

Weather station type=31 // Irox=59,WMR100=232,WMR200=233,WMR300=235,WMR968=8,WMR918=3,Davis VP=31,Davis WMMII=4, WH1081=166,2310=60,WXT510=190,3600=61,Davis IP=32, OWWfile=71
Davis com method=2 //1 for serial, 2 for usb data logger
OWW file location=
Davis VP IP port=
wh1080 read delay= // Port for Davis VP IP data logger
Davis VP IP address= // IP address " " " " " "
latitude=50.9218218 /// latitude, e.g -38.375 for southern hemisphere
longitude=-3.19553 /// e.g -175.456 for east of UTC/London
Station name=WeerstationIzegem
Start up daily rain(mm)=0.0
Start up monthly rain(mm)=32.8
Do wunderground=N //For updating wunderground.com (set to Y for yes, N for no) (every 5 minutes)
Wunderground username=
Wunderground password=
Wunderground timezone=-5 // e.g 12 for 12 hours ahead of GMT, -12 for - 12 hours
timezone= (to change the local PC hour used)
Direction offset (whole degrees)=0
Barometer offset(hpa)=0
Comport number (e.g 1)=U //For non USB stations (e.g Davis, OS WMR968), use U for ttyUSB0 (i.e usb to serial)
Davis com method=1 // 1 for regular 2 for special davis serial read
Revb Davis VP=Y (Y for Yes (new model (default) ) N for No)
Davis rain gauge=3 (1 for 0.1 inch, 2 for 0.01 inch, 3 for 0.2mm)
Do mysql=N //for mysql updates (see the readme for the table structure), every 5 minutes
Mysql username=
Mysql password=
Mysql server=
Mysql databasename=
Mysql tablename=
Mysql metric=Y (set N for oF, inches of rain, inches for baro)
Mysql time=300 (time interval between mysql update in seconds from 60 to 10000 sec)
Do CWOP updates=N //every 10 minutes
CWOP station id=
CWOP ham call sign=-1 // -1 is default (you do not have a Ham call sign)
CWOP Latitude=
CWOP Longitude=
Do clientraw FTP=N //(set to Y for yes, N for no), uploads every 1 minute
FTP server=
FTP username=
FTP password=
FTP port=21 //default is 21
FTP remote dir=
FTP use passive=Y //(set to Y for yes, N for no)
FTP use remote file rename= //Write here the remote name: NOTE that not all FTP servers allow remote file rename"
FTP time interval=60 //the interval between two upload of the clientraw.txt and custom file
Save logfile=Y //to save the .txt logfile (set to N to save on disk space)
Logfile metric=Y
Create custom file=N //converts the custom tags in a file called wxlocal.html to wx.html
Use this filename instead of wx.html=
Use this filename instead of wx2.html=
Use this filename instead of wx3.html=
Use this filename instead of wx4.html=
Use this filename instead of wx5.html=
FTP the custom file=N //will FTP the wx.html or filename you set to FTP server specified (clientraw FTP needs to be enabled too)
Units for custom tag file output:
Temp in celsius=Y
Wind in=kph // options are: mph,kts,kph,m/s (changes the custom tags)
Baro in metric=Y
Rain in metric=Y
run cron files=Y // set to N to not run the separate cron files
do custom log=N // set to Y to create an appended logfile from a template (customlog.txt)
custom log out=customlogout.txt
temp offset= //C

The only thing I can see for now, as i have no raspberry running, is that there are two comport settings
line 2:
Davis com method=2 //1 for serial, 2 for usb data logger
a lot of lines lower:
Davis com method=1 // 1 for regular 2 for special davis serial read

The last line is used.
So check all lines for Davis settings, as I know for sure it worked perfectly in the past.
And when Brian is awake in NZ he will probably has more ideas.

Wim