Davis wind speed to tenths

There is a thread but it’s 2005, thought i best start a new one seen as its very old…

Has this been improved upon over the years?

I see the console is in whole numbers,
i see WD’s main dial in whole numbers

Yet WD’s max ave’, max gust and max ave’ gust are in tenths and the gust and ave’ on the graph are showing in tenths
Even uploading in tenths

So, whats what please?

how do you mean on the graph exactly?

Only way is to show you, oh and there is a . As shown in the image to in the %vpforecasttext% too

do you have your software set to average speed over time? then that way I could see getting tenths .

Not got a clue lol, where do I check please? Thing is, I changed station from OS to Davis, nothing changed…

I am stuck in mac hell so I don’t have the same version of WD.

OK, no worries…

Nothing has changed. The VP2 only provides wind data in whole mph. Any averaging can generate decimal points, that’s just math. WD’s added complication is that it converts the mph from the Davis, to knots. Then it converts knots back to mph or whatever other units the users are using for display. The knots to mph conversion factor is 1.1507784538296349319971367215462 so the result of the conversion will frequently have decimals, but those are get rounded off generating minor errors when converting from smaller values of mph → knots → mph.

There really should be a lot of threads about this.

Thanks Niko, that explains it, was just wondering why the main dial was rounded when everything else is to tenths in WD, i did find one or 2 threads when i searched but they were very old, hence this new one as something “may have” changed with Davis since 2005

Maybe lost in the server crash. I know I did a table one time showing the possible conversion error for multiple wind values, but I don’t see that now :frowning: I do recall that Brian added a decimal point to some knot values to minimize errors.

Understandable re data loss, it’s not an issue, more of a query, the decimal is neither here nor there, just takes a bit of getting used to :slight_smile: Thanks again for you input as usual :slight_smile:

I ain’t got a clue as to what’s happened or what I have done but I have just looked at WD and it’s now showing to the tenth, perhaps it’s cause rather speed has increased some?

Sorted, I added a 1%offset earlier to see what that would do :slight_smile: