Last mounting question, hopefully

Hi, mast coming today so I will be mounting it all, 1 more question, I will be mounting the anemometer with the shaft facing North for ease of alignment then calibrating it, if I mount the solar and uv right below it, when the sun is higher, will the anemometer block the sun at certain times or does the sun not get higher enough to be an problem there?

I would recommend having nothing which could cast any shadow at any time on the solar/uv sensors and that includes the anemometer. I have mine mounted on the roof on my aerial mast with an extension (home made) for my solar sensor so it is above everything. The only issue with mine is that on occasions in summer a blackbird alights on it to sing and completely blocks the sun out #-o :roll:

Stuart

Ha, that was the reason i was thinking about just below the ane’ birds, namely pigeons and doves
i have a lot here, ok, i did have a wee inkling that it may be in the way during summer months.

I could mount it a bit lower or use cable ties as a deterrent, if its a bit lower then that will mean later
starts and earlier finished (sun) decisions, decisions lol

If it helps, for places in England, the sensors need to be clear of shadow obstructions for approximately 45 degrees either side of North to cater for mid-summer sun rise and sets.

Thanks, according to an app I just downloaded, would you Adam and Eve it, from the bottom of the speed to the bottom of the mount on the mast it’s spot on 45 degrees, so it I place it a foot below then that, in theory, should be ok?

If I’m understanding you right - yes, you should be OK. In the south of England you have more than 45 degrees to play with anyway, more like a nudge over 50. You aren’t going to register sunshine for a period just after sunrise and just before sunset anyway.

Thanks Mark, appreciate the info…

The anemometer stick should face north so I’m confused by the calibration comment. If you mount it that way, and mount the solar/UV on the south side of the mast at a similar height there should be no problem :?

I am facing it south, therefore i need to calibrate it to suit…

I have overlooked one major thing though, i though all cables were 4 core, nope, temp/hum is 5 or 6 core, couldnt see properly
its getting dark, thats a bummer cause i have already buried the cable :frowning:

now i have to find somewhere tomorrow that has 6 core cable, pref same colour s and some 6 pin rj11’s :confused:

Why do you need a long 6 core?

To go from temp to the transmitter, transmitter is now on the mast, temp is were OS temp is in the middle

It was easier doing it that way than having 3 cables from the mast to the temp UV/solar/wind, my way its only 1 cable temp to mast

Its RJ11 6P6C i need aint it RJ11 6P4C is for th other cables right?

I would not recommend separating the temp/hum farther from the transmitter, not a good idea IMHO. That’s why the replacement rain gauge base is a really convenient way to split the gauge, it has both shelter and transmitter mount.

Ah, too late of that lol

Why not? Its just to extend the 6-core cable like the 4-core one. Nothing special there. Done that w/o problems.
One reason for splitting them apart are also so it not builds up ice between rainpot and temp/hum during the winter whats could break it.
Just FYI, its quite odd Davis not have taken in account that ice-build-thingy in the first place…

Interesting, what distance?

My concern is the VP2 temp/hum uses more complex digital communication interface than the simple switch closure/variable resistance of the anemometer and rain gauge. But I guess it’s not an issue after all :slight_smile:

Ice build up, in California? :lol:

Some 5-6 m.

Ice build up, in California?

No, but up here with heated gauge yes :smiley:
First winters with they untouched had i to try to get away that ice to not break the thing but also because it clogged the water-holes in the bottom of the rainpot at the end. So it is a really crap design by default.

I seem to recall that at one time the humidity sensor worked like a variable capacitor, and the capacitance measuring circuit was on the SIM board. Adding extra cable was not recommended because that could alter the capacitance. Is it not like that any more?

N7XSQ

I will be going 10m’s, if not then i will have to mount it on the mast and that i didnt want to
do due to the heat off the summer house roof :confused:

As it stands, i cannot find any 6 core connectors locally anyway :confused:

No, it’s a totally digital sensor now, SHT11 until recently, now SHT31 I think. It uses 2 wire serial comm similar to I2C which is usually only used for on board or board to board interface, but apparently it works over longer distances.