New night cloud

Tempered glass screen saver IR transmission tested. Not as good as clingfilm - no surprise there. I rate it better than two thicknesses of ziplock baggie plastic, not quite as good as one thickness - but bulletproof by comparison. Very suitable for the purpose :thumbright:

YMMV - my glass has a very hard, deposited coating on the finger side which may negatively affect the results. If your glass has a plastic film I suggest removing it.

Sounds promising then, i have a 8" one coming, but thats only cause i have a suitable click lock, airtight, tupperware type box for it :smiley:

If theres a plastic film on it, i bet thats the “non scratch” part of the glass :lol: :lol: are they strong enough for birds landing on it?
I am not talk ducks, geese or swans than need a landing strip type bird mind :lol: perhaps ya fat pigeon type, fat causes they wolfed
down all the blooming seed i put out :confused:

It’s not a plastic film, doesn’t mark with a sharp point, not damaged by a hot soldering iron. Looks more like the coating on a lens.

Similar to what you get on camera a lens, im talking D/SLR lenses?

Right, similar kind of process.

Ah, oki, i got ya, that being said, mine could be completely different but most are prob from the same factory

Mine has arrived, glad they are cheap, i didnt take in to account for the cutouts, they are bang on in the wrong place lol :oops: :roll:

I have now managed to find one that has no cutouts, 7" and should sit nicely on a chinese take away tub :smiley:

They feel plasticy to me, then bend fairly well and its not until a finely serated (spell check please???) blade not even making a
mark on the edge do you actually start to believe it may be glass after all 8O :lol:

The interesting part i think will be when using the hot glue to stick it down (all i have) i will need to be fast enough to lay the glue
and stick it before the glue cools and will have to get it right the 1st time, i.e no gaps :roll: i think i should have ordered 2 now lol

If you look through it edgeways it should look greenish.

Hi Niko, yeah, looks a bit greeny :slight_smile:

If you look at clear plastic edge on it’s very clear/colorless compared to glass*, think of that green edge you see on window glass.

*Except for very special glass (starfire), and acrylic/plexiglass/perspex that’s designed to mimic glass :roll:

Good to know, I still can’t believe glad can bend though

Yeah, it’s really tough stuff :slight_smile:

Yep, deffo glass lol the sticky stuff comes off with white spirit…

Dare I ask what the heck you are going to do with such a big one?

It’s only 7 inches, she said… :wink: :lol:

Ok, been a few nights testing, there seems to be just over
2C difference between overcast and clear sky, not as big a margin as the bag @ 3C+ but having said that, it’s not the same setup either, the container is a different plastic, it’s also about 3x the size, I think it could be the lamination of the glass though, it looks like it’s glass sandwiched between 2 sheets of some type of plastic, it works OK just that the margin is smaller, still trying to figure out if a bigger margin is better when working with 0.5C steps for setting???

If you have a lot of air space in the box that could make a difference.

Yeah that could do it but it’s prob about the same air (poss less) as the 1st prototype, 1st post,

Could you put styrofoam in there?

Is that different to polystyrene, cause thats what I am using…?