Quick important question about new wret.exe

At work and only have a minute - will respond to other posts this evening, but wanted to get this out there. I had posted a new version of wret.exe at

www.wxsim.com/wret.exe

It’s worked fine for me and I’ve heard no complaints, but one user just emailed me to say that his antivirus software (don’t know which one) said it was infected by a trojan! I have antivirus software myself (McAfee) and don’t think I’ve ever posted an infected file of any kind, so this would be a first. I suspect it could be an erroneous warning, though I honestly don’t know enough about these things to say for sure. Maybe somebody with good antivirus software can try downloading and scanning it?

Thanks!

Tom

No problems, scanned with a paid AV

My antivirus at work (Microsoft Endpoint) saw the file as having a virus and automatically deleted it.
I’ll check at home when I get back. I have Bitdefender there.

Carl

MalwareBytes doesn’t flag it either.

virustotal.com scanned it with 57 AV programs and had no hits (click link for details). I think this myth is busted :slight_smile:

Thanks for the feedback so far! Please let me know of any other results you may find.

Tom

Tom,

I just scanned the file at home with Bitdefender and it reports that the file is clean.

Carl

Hi Tom,

Scanned with Bullguard and Norton Internet Security.
Both found nothing. File is clean.

Brgds,
Oebel

Thanks everybody! The user who saw that message actually sent it to Microsoft to check, and even they said it was clean. They are suppose to flag it as OK in their next release (Microsoft Security Essentials, or something like that). Basically, that tool is just paranoid about files it doesn’t recognize. It actually thought my program WAS malware (not just “infected”, which I understand is rare these days, anyway … it’s mostly trojans, which I think are stand-alone programs).

Tom