1 forum mod? and email sending

Hi Chris, have you though about adding a like button to posts, i have come across numerous posts that
i have liked and would like to “Like” but have no need to comment.

Also, there is a mod called @mention members its a tag mod to alert a member that you have tagged them
whether be just to thank them or to alert them to something or for whatever reason you wish?

Just a thought is all, the latter would be very handy, the former would be nice.

Also, would you be able to adjust the timing of the email sending please? there can be long periods
without an email and the person i was conversing with has gone…
or getting an email ages after you have replied thinking its a new reply…

I vote:

No
No

and I don’t understand the last one :?

Voting no to liking a post?
Emails, if you are on the forum and reply to a post that you set to notify, about 40mins later ya get an email saying there is a reply, yet it’s the reply you have already replied to…

Yes, any attempt to make this forum look like Facebook will not find favor with me. If you appreciate something use your keyboard the old fashioned way.

Emails, if you are on the forum and reply to a post that you set to notify, about 40mins later ya get an email saying there is a reply, yet it's the reply you have already replied to...

Thanks, it wasn’t clear you were referring to notification emails. I never use 'em. Are you sure the delay is within the forum and not just somewhere in the pipe? Have you looked at the headers? I notice that even if I send emails within the same system, e.g. yahoo to yahoo, it can often take a while for them to arrive.

Doesn’t have to be a like, a thanks button would do the same think…

If I send and email to myself, Gmail from wd for instance sometimes it’s a couple of seconds sometimes about 10,not 40 minutes, I would say the cron job is set to say every hour, every 15 minutes would be good

I’m with Niko…if you like a post…quote it and post a reply to it. Communicate the fact that it was a good post. Let’s not turn this into a popular posts forum.

That’s fine if folks don’t like the idea, that’s is all it was, just an idea, just thought it would be nice to give recognition, there has been times when no reply has been needed but I felt a like or a thanks would have been appropriate.

Agreed.

Not a problem, i will remove that part of the post :slight_smile:

BTW, Bashy, I got a notification of your last post literally no more than one minute after you made it. Not a jab, just FYI.

OK, that’s definitely a Chris question then. Still be interesting to look at the times in the header.

Ok, will let ya know when the email comes through for this one :lol: never know, some are are fairly quick
so perhaps its already at 15 mins and you could be correct,

I looked back at the headers on several PM notifications with various minute timestamps. The time in the header is very close (seconds) to the timestamp at the top of the PM in the forum. I turned on notify so please post again on some odd minute and I’ll post the header.

We used to have karma turned on which is like ‘like’ but it was turned off a long time ago because people didn’t really like it.

As far as I know notification emails are put in the queue immediately they arise. If the mail queue has a lot in it then it might take a little while to send, but there are usually only a handful of messages in the queue so messages should go out within a minute or two at most.

Sent from my SM-T715 using Tapatalk

That could be it then Chris, I just got the notifitcation for Nikos reply, header says
date: 12 February 2017 at 17:17 and it arrived at 17:48

Chris post timestamp @ :47:33 (mins:secs)
WW Server @ :47:59
Yahoo @ :48:08

Bashy post :50:09 on forum

I just did a quick grep on the maillog and the average delay through the mail system for notifications going to Bashy today is about 50 seconds. That’s from origination, to outbound malware/spam scanning to delivery to the remote mail server.

Not a problem. This is a forum and it is always good to kick around ideas here.

@Niko, Chris, perhaps its a Gmail thing then :? :roll: