New Davis VP2 station - Serial or USB

Well,

After 11 years it looks like my Davis VP2 may have out lived itself forcing me to get a new one.

I posted something way back about if I should switch over from Serial to USB logger. Based on the responses I opted to stay where I am. However, this depends on triplite coming out with drivers. Currently they do not have a Sierra driver.

So if I have to buy a new station, any thoughts about buying the USB logger option? I’m on Yosemite but REALLY need to go up to at least El Cap (so I can buy final cut). Will I still have to deal with USB driver issues or are they pretty solid.

Is anyone out there using the USB logger? If so what mac os are you on and what, if anything, did you have to do special?

I will be likely purchasing this today so any help is greatly appreciated.

Based on a conversation with Davis, I will be replacing the ISS only and not the console.

Thus I will stick with the serial logger (for now).

I’m still curious if anyone out there is using the USB logger and if so what version of Mac OS are they on?

the usb data logger works fine on a mac
you just need to make sure you have the latest silicon labs usb driver for OSX

Great thanks - any OS version i’m assuming…

I’m on Yosemite right now… Ide like to goto Sierra, but can’t because Triplite doesn’t have a driver for it

Minimum I have to goto is El Cap so I can purchase Final Cut. Supposively Triplite works on that.

Cutting the cord with Triplite would be nice (not that there is anything wrong with them or their product) :slight_smile:

UGGG this has been driving me NUTS

Why not just get another serial-usb? Startech is very up-to-date with drivers https://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/Serial-Cards-Adapters/USB-to-RS232-Serial-Adapter-Cable~ICUSB232V2 including Mac thru Sierra.

COOL… Thanks

And its even rated for Mac Sierra :slight_smile:

I don’t suppose you or anyone here is using it ??

I like Triplite and all but… When I called them before xmas asking if they were going to come up with a Sierra driver, his response was: “yeah many people have been asking for that. I guess we should look into it”

I don’t have that one but I’ve bought other Startech products, most recently a PCI 4 port serial board. They have good support and usually are right up to date with the latest OS drivers.

NOTE: If you order from their website, MAKE SURE you click on one of their resellers (amazon new egg etc). Their CHEAPEST shipping is $13.40 (for a $19 cable that weighs how many ounces).

On Amazon I paid $8 for shipping

I have been running a VP2 station with USB since 2008 without a problem.

I am currently using OS X Sierra 10.12.2 and the latest drivers from http://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/pages/usbtouartbridgevcpdrivers.aspx#mac

Hope this helps.

Hugh

MUCH appreciated Hugh…

Currently I’m using a serial logger (when I got my station in 2005 I was on windows and USB wasn’t readily used). I would have to buy a USB logger for some $100-ish US dollars

The Startech cable arrived yesterday. Will try to play with it over the weekend.

Dang it’s small (foot or so long). Next size up was 6’ which is overkill. Ill make do with 1.5’ cable.