Actual cost per year?

From reading this and other online forums, reliability of various weather stations not just brand vs brand but within brands seems to have quite a variance. Component failure or total unit unacceptability for the advertised task.

In light of that and regardless of brand you own or have owned what is the dollar cost per year over the life of the unit?

For example [hypothetical] -----
Brand A costs $100:00 + $60:00 for decent software, has built in USB connectivity and lasts 2 years = $80/year
Brand B cost $1000:00 + $60:00 for decent software, has no built in USB connectivity and lasts 5 years before sensors fail or become unreliable = $212/year

To get approximately the same cost per year as Brand A, Brand B needs to last 13 years without additional expenditure.
Based on reports of longevity across the WEB that sought of trouble free performance from any domestic/semi professional Weather station on the surface seems a rarity.

My current personal station is not a ??? and doesn’t have USB connectivity.
Can you estimate what your station has/is costing per year?

Lowest price is not a good way to choose a weather station…

Davis Vantage Vue = $270
Data Logger = $55
Software = $60
4 Battery replacements = $20
Total =$430 (includes shipping)

Life = 8 years
Total per year $54

Just had the super cap in the sensor suite go bad after 8+ years. The console is still good and would expect it to last many more years. I could either replace the super cap for maybe $20 or replace the whole sensor suite for $190. I am opting for getting a new sensor suite and will repair the old to use as a backup.

BTW, I agree with niko!

+1 to Niko and Hankster.

You shouldn’t limit yourself to the dollar amount and supposed ROI. You need to look at what you are getting for your buck.

Brand A - Lower cost per year…lower accuracy, shorter range of transmitter, longer data update times, less flexibility, etc.
Brand B - Higher price per year…higher accuracy, longer range of transmitter, quicker data update time, ability to add on, etc.

Money or your budget should be only one factor. You need to take into account what each station has to offer and what shortcomings you are willing to accept. As always…ask us here…we are more than willing to help you spend your money… :slight_smile: . There are a wide range of weather stations that we all use. We can help steer you the right direction.

Not so straightforward for me as I’ve had 4 Davis stations at 2 different locations.

Wireless Davis VP2 currently in use:

Purchased in 2006 = 10 years ago for $400 - cost / year $40
Data logger and software from original Davis VP bought approx 16 years ago, cost estimated $10 / year

It’s possible I changed the supercap on this station for a few $ but it has required no other service.

I did choose to upgrade to a new ISS in 2014 for $208 to get the improved design anemometer, but the original ISS is working just fine with my spare console so I’m not considering this as a cost of ownership.

Weather station cost based on 10 years use to date - $50/yr.
Knowing that my data updates quickly and isn’t garbage when the sun shines - priceless.

Texas Weather Instrument station, includes solar, lightning detection and two RS232 ports.

14 years old, cost $1550 new.
Replaced bearings in Anemometer twice: $8.00
Replaced wind cups once (sun ate them) $15.00
Replaced Humidity sensor component three times. $45.00
Replaced Rs232 controller chip 3 times after close lightning strikes: Free

$114 per year.

I can read the console display easily from across the room (20ft), all readings are instantly updated: Priceless

I gave my father my first Texas Weather Instrument station.
21 years old. Station Cost $1150
Replaced wind cups once: $15.00
Replaced Bearings twice: $8.00
Replaced Humidity sensor once $12.00
Replaced Wind Cups once $15.00
$57 per year.

Even with his aging eyes (he’s 92), he can read the console display from across the room (23ft), readings update immediately: Priceless.

60 USD - WH1080
50 USD - Meteobridge + MR3020 router
0 USD - own template

sensor needed replacing: 0 times
station failed: 0 times
HW/SW updates: 0 times

years in operation: 6.5

16.9 USD/yr

Result: http://www.meteotemplate.com/

In USD.

Davis wireless VP2: 400
Davis weatherlink: 115
Software: 100
Various masts and towers & hardware: 360 (still own tower)

Total: 975
Total years of operation: 8
Repairs : 0 (None)

Cost of ownership: $121.86 /yr. Electric & server cost excluded since hardware and electrical was already allocated before weather services were added.
Currently out of service as a backup system. Still using the console and weatherlink though.

Now its a little different for the last 2 years… Its going to be scary high I imagine. Lets find out

Davis VP2 pro, 24hr fars: 960
Boltek PCI: 470
Boltek Software: 70 (plus map 30) = 100
Server upgrade: 150

Total: 1,680
Total years of operation: 1.8
Repairs : 0 (None)

Cost of ownership: $933.34 /yr. Electric cost excluded since hardware and electrical was already allocated for development purposes…