Sunlight still a great value.

It’s 15:50 PM and my solar value is 16 watts / m2.
Sunset is 16:20 PM asol

Solar2.png

I have experienced the same problem over the last few days. At sunrise the solar % reading would shoot straight up to 100% and remain there for up to an hour, even with complete high cloud cover. Again in the hour before sunset it would do the same thing. In between these two times, it would behave normally, giving accurate readings. (I thought I was the only one with this problem.)

I have a theory as to the cause of this problem. For a few weeks, the Earth’s atmosphere has been bombarded with very high speed Solar winds (over 1M mph at times) and this wind has filled our atmosphere with copious amounts of protons and whatever else, hence the spectacular auroras seen of late.

(I’m not a scientist, nor do I claim to be). I get my information from spaceweather.com.

Here’s my theory: When the Sun is at its lowest in the East and West, are its rays/light reflecting/bouncing off these particles in the upper atmosphere, causing our solar sensors to go haywire?

It’s just a theory, nonetheless, I have no scientific data to support it.

John

I use a version of the S41 B81 and at the same time, the same setting.
By day, the sun seems to be the value of percent is approximately the same, but at dawn and dusk are a lot of versions S41 rolling.

this has been discussed in many threads
the problem is the very low numbers

Most recent discussion here. The other thing you have going on in the screen shots you posted is cloud reflection. It’s only possible to get a nice, smooth, curve when the sky is totally clear. The sun reflecting off any cloud can add to the direct sun to generate peak values of solar radiation that exceed the calculated max.