Digital Cameras

Not weather related.

So my girlfriend wants a new camera to replace her 35mm. Nothing to expensive, but something that will be able too zoom in to take shots i.e. moon

Any ideas? I don’t know much about digital cameras besides the one on my phone…lol

Thanks

To get good advice it would help to know what 35mm camera she has now. Is it a single lens reflex, in other words is it this general shape, big lens that detaches and a lump on the top?

What’s your budget?

A local photographer recommended this one… https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U2W4JEY?ref_=sr_1_3&s=photo&qid=1483413743&sr=1-3&keywords=nikon%20p900&pldnSite=1

This is what she has now… https://www.amazon.com/Phoenix-28-210-f-4-2-6-5AF-Pentax/dp/B000VZ1HNI On a Nikon F65 camera

I don’t know much about cameras.

I was thinking 500 to 600. But again, that’s only based off of what Ive been reading and not knowing much about these new cameras.

There ya go, if she likes Nikon then that’s the brand I would look at in a digital. Can’t go wrong with Canon either but people get attached to a brand :wink:

Budget looks about right.

She’s not picky on the brand, just the quality of the pic and the zoom feature. I would think a camera with a 83x zoom feature would be good.

Hi

I myself own a Canon 70D with only a Tamron 16-300mm lens, It does the lot, close and far, albeit not as good as the Tamron 70-300 at top end

Canon and Nikon are pretty much as good as each other, 2 thing let the Canon down but make up in other areas, 1, noisier at higher iso and
a bit louder on the shutter, thats a lot if ya do wildlife, its more of a clack than click, i only went with Canon again cause i used to have the 600D brill starter though and the
articulated screen can be a godsend.

Tamron do great lenses, sigma too but, hey ho lol i think Tamron top them, be careful with any camera equip when ya buy used

Ok, so the above is DSLR what about a bridge camera, i have see moon shots from this beaut and they are amazing!!!

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/powershot-sx60-hs

I don’t recommend lenses which zoom more than 10:1, as there are compromises made at some focal lengths with higher zoom ranges. Go for interchangeable lens models. In fact, I prefer fixed focal length lenses, but that’s just me.

I have a Nikon D3100. It works very well. I saw one on line today with 2 lens for $550 .I think that is the best value for that price range.
Chuck

I have a Fujifilm HS50EXR bridge camera that works for me as for a moon shot you will need a tripod as well.

teal.

That’s a great moon picture. I’m not familiar with bridge cameras, how does that differ from a (D)SLR?

Bridge cameras look and work very much like an SLR but you can’t change the lens. The lenses normally have a good zoom on them with an extra digital zoom, but this is where the image quality can suffer.

If she has a Nikon 35mm SLR now, then getting a Nikon digital SLR should mean any lenses she has for the 35mm will also fit the digital, saving the cost of buying new lenses. :wink:

Not necessarily! They may fit physically, but not all the functions will work, OK for manual operation.

Thanks Budgie! I guess that’s how they manage the extreme zoom lenses. I’ll stick with my DSLR :slight_smile:

You could also ask her what she wants. Some photographers are picky, some are not.

As for zoom, my one has X42 manual & then X2 digital, the moon picture above was taken at X84 (X42 + X2 digital), A tripod was used & a remote shutter release. Digital zoom has come a long way, see up loads.

teal.