New Fog option (Closed as far as I'm concerned now)

Brian since we have problems with fog detection because of the very varied conditions where fog occurs I thought it might be an idea to have an on/off or enable/disable option in the fog threshold section to completely turn off detection but leave the thresholds as they were.

This would enable people to simply switch off fog rather than having to manipulate the thresholds to stop fog happening.

What do others think about this?

Stuart

Hi,

I have found that if you set low wind speed threshold to 0, it effectively switches of fog detection.

Andy

Yes I know I can do that but personally I’d rather have a switch than mess around with thresholds which sometimes might still be met.

Stuart

Hi.

But the threshold of below 0 low wind will never be met, so that switches it off.

I have tested this (a lot) and at 0 low wind it will not show fog, whatever other parameters are met.

Andy

do you guys not have public holidays at this time of year?

The weather never stops for holidays Brian :smiley:

Happy New Year and thank you for everything you do here!

Andy

We do indeed but some times I just get bored with them all at this time of year :wink:

Happy New Year to all (I know it has already been for you Brian but for us we have just under 2 hours to go :wink: )

Stuart

How about enabling the DP depression setting again Brian, i.e. because, if its less than 0.3C then prob foggy if all other conditions are met
you also have the adjustment if needed. For me, i just lower the temp if it shows fog when its not. Fog is a very hard one to get right, perhaps
the DP dep would help a lot?

Most of these fog types are partly due to the DP depression

http://www.theweatherprediction.com/fog/

Even a 0.3 dp depression can happen without fog (happening here right now). Earlier this morning before it started to rain we had fog with an average wind speed of 11.8mph. Also have had no fog with a lower dp depression than 0.3.

Bottom line here is that none of this stuff is 100% accurate. There are only two methods which are 100% accurate, one is to look out of the window and the other is a fog detector (expensive). WD does the best it can with what it has to work with and now the fog thresholds are working well (for me at least) I think we need what we have, yes perhaps dp depression could be added to help and the solar setting is good as at least during the winter months we rarely get fog with sunny as well. This is another complication for me here because we can have sea fog in spring & summer where horizontally the visibility is well below 1000 metres (used to be 1000 yards I believe) but vertically we have the solar validly reading sunny!

It is mainly because of the complications for detecting fog this is the reason I suggested an on/off switch which means we can turn it off when appropriate instantly.

Stuart

but Andy had already suggested an easy way to turn it off

I just thought a 100% way of turning it off might be a good idea, messing with thresholds probably means that somewhere someone will find what they thought disabled it did not. Also I must point out that a 10 minute wind average of zero is possible.

OK it was only a suggestion after all.

Stuart

but the wind can not be below zero (the way the threashold works)
if I put a switch then there its more likely someone will forget they turned it off and wonder why not fog
i.e its just another complication that is not needed

If the switch is part of the settings for fog then since folks will have to play with the settings most times to get fog then it will be difficult to forget. But as I said it seems no one else wants it, that’s fine. It was only a suggestion. Treat this as closed now.

Stuart

I just think others have other things going on in their life right now,like getting over a hang over from new years eve, etc, and fog settings are not on their current radar