Davis station

But, but, the US $ is up 7% in Yuan, that must be a big saving for Davis :lol:

one small factor i over looked, thankfully before i have bought anything and that is the fact the solar/uv need to be leveled
this would not be possible at present until i get another mast, the solar and uv have to go on the mast and as i only
have a 6m pole with a smaller segment attached then there is no possible way to plumb them level :confused:

I spose i could always attach it to the bottom of the pole and then levlel but i am sure it would be out when fixed at the top
but there would be no way of telling except for crap readings lol

Was wanting a look at ya bracket but ya images aint working :confused:

Can you see it now?

It’s a very modified on one of these:

I moved the U bolt and mast locator to the short side, cut the center circle out and used a piece of (blue) acrylic to mount the solar. Sort of like this:

Thanks Niko, gives me sommat to play with :slight_smile:

The solar needs a large (2-3 cm?) central hole with three screw holes around it. The steel of the bracket was very hard so it was easier to just jigsaw the center out and do the complicated drilling in the plastic sheet. What you need is a support that will snugly grab the round mast. I “verticalled” the pole rather than leveled the sensor. Very strong winds will sway it a bit, but when it’s that windy here there’s not much solar to worry about :wink:

Im sure i will be able to figure sommat out, hopefully lol at the minute my light bulb (solar in a jar)
is held on up there by a cable tie ha ha ha, stayed there through 40-50mph winds too lol

My other problem is, the bucket, Ideally i want that where my bucket is now, on a solid fence.
so in effect i really want to separate it all…

Temp in the middle (see image) its about the best place in the garden…

Im gonna go for the daytime fars and prob wire the fan direct to a psu, if that is possible?, cant
see why not…

You can wire the fan to a power supply.

To split rain from temp/hum/electronics you can either 100% DIY or get a rain gauge base and mount the electronics box and shelter assembly on it, leaving the rain tipper and cone on the original base.

Isn’t your gauge sheltered from the rain by the fence?

not unless its 100% horizontal and coming from the east or north, its about 10ft from the east fence and
about 6-8ft from the north fence, prob looks closer in the image?

Brill on the fan, thanks :slight_smile:

Rain gauge base may have to be an order in item by the looks of it, poss Germany, will have to see… thanks :slight_smile:

1 more for now, is there any reason other than the connector as to why you cannot use temp sensor 6477 in the
Leaf, Soil and Temp station? There seems to be a big jump for SS and no connector :confused:

When you get the station you might think about making a bracket, seems entirely possible to me.

Hmmm, with that spacing I would probably put the gauge higher than you have it.

AFAIK 6477 is the same sensing element and will work just fine assuming you are capable of cutting off the plug and figuring out which wires to use :wink:

I think it would be worth spending the

I’ve just been out and measured it, its actually 10ft x 10ft and the fences are 6ft

Pretty sure that’s correct, but remember that it’s a different mechanical assembly - 6477 has the sensor in a plastic bead, whereas 6475/6470 use a more robust and inert stainless steel encapsulation, which is good for air/soil/water use.

Hi John, the probe would be in a jar…

The cable is more robust too, not the “phone” cable used on the 6477. But the black unit is probably better for Bashy’s “temp in a jar” purpose.

Hi Niko, been looking all morning for somat along your lines but i am struggling, i did find this though, any thoughts? i was thinking perhaps sitting over the top of the mast?

For mounting hardware in the UK I’d always recommend taking a look at this website based in Sheffield:

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/poles-and-masts-shop.html

See the brackets & clamps page too of course. It’s all stuff related to TV and satellite aerials (surprise, surprise) and no ham radio, telescopic masts at all, but quite a bit of useful stuff there nonetheless.

No connection whatsoever with this site, but we’ve used as have others I know and service seems generally good.

NB Be aware that 1.75" is the maximum OD that the standard Davis U-bolts will fit - 2" is too large. It is possible to find different U-bolts that will accept a 2" mast but they’re not easy to track down (the wider span typically means heavier gauge rod for the U-bolt, which is then often too big to fit through the holes in eg the anemometer bracket - you need to find some that are the same lighter gauge rod as the existing U-bolt, but which also have a wider span).

Thanks John, had a good look in there but cannot find anything suitable to mount the uv and solar on the mast.

All being well, I will be in contact with you sometime next week, also hoping your stock level is OK for
6162uk (bundle), 7747, 6345ov, 6420 and the 6477 :wink:

You don’t want to see the mounting for my home-brew solar UV sensors (thanks to niko ;)), it involves a bit of nickle plated ‘strapping’ and a stainless jubilee clip round the mast!

I’ve now relocated my solar/UV sensors to the anemometer mast above the roof-line - I had to create a Davis “radio relay” though to combine the data from the ISS in the garden with the anemometer transmitter and rebroadcast the data as if it was all coming from a single ISS. Stupid VP2 consoles!

Don’t knock Jubilee clips, I saw one of those IOT stations is using them now :lol: