Forum access

Screenshot wont show much, basically what happens is this:

I go to the forum, choose a user and click PM → the PM sending page appears. I write the text and hit Send

I immediately get completely blank white page with the above text. If I hit back Im back to the sending page with blank message field but this is loaded from the browser cache because if I try to go to the forum I get the same message and after a few minutes I have access again.

Chatter: Chat about anything that doesn’t fit elsewhere.

Yes, though there maybe should be a thread for forum problems

Doesn’t happen often enough…

That message appears to come from an app called “Bad Behavior”, if we have that I’m unaware of it but will check. We do, see below :oops:

It is odd that in the many years of this forum being on SMF nobody has ever run into this before :?

It is happening to me for about a few months, I dont send PM very often and I noticed it happens almost always when I try to send the first PM. Then Im blocked, I try again, Im blocked again and then third or fourth time it finally works and then until that session ends (ie. until I for example dont look at the forum for several hours) it works fine.
So I was sending a PM to Brian about 20 minutes ago and it happened. When I try now it works ok but I bet if I try tomorrow, the first time I try it will happen again

If you recall, recently your IP was inadvertently blocked from my website because it was in a whole range of IP’s that I blocked because of suspicious behavior. Possibly a similar dragnet has snared you again, anyway I think Chris will be the only one who can really look into this and I have contacted him and will let you know the result when I hear back, or he may post here.

OK, I’m wrong :oops: I found the Bad Behavior log

Your latest 2 denials say:

DENIED REASON: POST more than two days after GET

Strange…

No clue what that means :smiley:

Me either :lol: Bad Behavior is mostly blocking 'bots, there are > 8,000 total denials in the 7 day log and no search function so I didn’t find any others of yours yet :roll:

And it only happens sometimes, after several tries it works

I have asked on the forum, I’ll let you know…

Happens if you are too fast…:wink:

Too fast with what?
I clicked your nick, then clicked the PM icon, then typed my message, which was about 4 lines long and took about 10 seconds to type, then hit send - and got this.

Had no problem sending a one letter pm with no subject, can’t get much faster than that :slight_smile:

No, that cant be it because I remember once I was really pissed off because the browser does not cache the text and I lost quite a long PM. Since then I always copy the text to clipboard before sending a PM on this forum…

I get it many times, it is annoying but it is a cache/cookie issue with your browser (i was told on here),
I get it cause i log in with 4 different devices or so i thought…

Found it http://discourse.weather-watch.com/p/467664

Not so sure where to too fast comes in to it though, i could be outside with the dogs and just so happen to
look at WW on the weather server and go to answer a post (nothing else has been done) and i then get that
issue.

Do it on my phone and its fine, sometimes after 2 or 3 tries like Jachym, it will work, other times i give up :slight_smile:

I frequently get that error too, only on this forum. Really annoying as you say because it loses the whole message you have typed in and you have to start again. Also like you I now copy the message before hitting ‘post’ - when I remember :frowning:

I just tried sending Niko a one letter message and it worked. I have been using the PM system here for years now and have never seen this error. I normally use Firefox on Linux and do have quite a fast connection although on rare occasions I do use FF on W7 and its not happened on that either. The cookie thing mentioned in Bashy’s post could perhaps play a part but again I have never cleared mine out deliberately and usually my FF profile stays across system rebuilds as I use the same /home directory on Linux and save it on Windows prior to updating.

Stuart

Cookies may play a role.