Stanford University's New Solar Farm

Stanford University recently fired up their own 67 megawatt solar plant. That’s a big one 8O

Another boondogle, just like the wind farms. #-o

They have just broke ground for a new community near Punta Gorda FL that will cover 18,000 acres, about the size of Manhattan. The first phase will have basically a complete town with stores, restaurants, schools (they just started taking applications for students), etc. To start it will have 1100 residents expanding to 50,000. At the same time a 433 acre 74.5-megawatt solar farm will be built that will completely power the city.

https://www.babcockranch.com

I don’t see it that way. Wresting control of your electricity supply away from Pacific Gas and Electric is a win in my book :smiley:

Interesting, we are going to see more of that. From 2020 all new homes in California are supposed to be net zero energy, but I’m not sure anyone knows how to make that a reality :roll:

A big amen to that! And according to EcoWatch:

U.S. Solar Surges in Record-Breaking Quarter

One megawatt of solar power was installed every 32 minutes in the U.S. from July to September, for a record total of 4,143 megawatts of new, clean energy, according to the Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA) and GTM Research’s U.S. Solar Market Insight report.

That brings total installed solar capacity in the U.S. to 35.8 gigawatts, enough to power 6.5 million homes. Solar power may double from 2015 to 2016. SEIA said.

More info here: U.S. Solar Surges in Record-Breaking Quarter - EcoWatch

And speaking of wind farms:

[quote]America’s First Offshore Wind Farm Goes Online

With the flip of a switch Monday, the country’s first offshore wind power project began commercial operations. That’s something to celebrate

Four of the turbines went online Monday and Deepwater expects the fifth to be operating next month once a minor fix is made.

#5 was damaged by a 6-inch drill bit left behind during assembly. Oops!