Error 6 on WXSIM

Hi

I get error 6 when running WXSIM under automatic schedule mode.

Any ideas on how to fix it?

If i run manually it seems to run ok.

does this help?

http://discourse.weather-watch.com/p/441835

Thanks

I will untick the graphic option and let it go through a few cycles to see if that helps

Steve

I removed the graphics option and it ran ok for 3 -4 cycles before stopping again on Error 6

Hi Steven,
PM’d you, but possibly this is related:

Version 12.12 (February 5, 2014) hadthe following changes relative to Version 12.11 (described below):

A more sophisticated treatment of the learned bias corrections has been implemented. This modifies the “slope bias correction” in such a way that there is a smooth tail-off in the effect when departures from normal temperature are greater than the average amount of departure from normal in the analysis. Something like this existed in previous version, but the function was discontinuous in slope and did not reduce the bias sufficiently. This one reduces it to about a third of the “learned” value when departures are more than about twice the average amount of departure. Also, a very thorough statistical analysis of thousands of forecasts, combined with studies using randomly generated data in Excel, suggested that extending small sample sizes of data to a larger range of conditions presents a problem: part of the error in error versus forecast departure from normal is an artifact of using (necessarily) the forecast departure as a basis, instead of the actual departure as a basis. Essentially, a too-warm forecast also tends to be an “above normal” forecast. I have now standardized the slope to be defined as appropriate when standard deviation of departure from normal is twice the standard deviation of the error itself. Outside this range, the slope is altered towards being a bit more “extreme” (allowing greater departures from normal). I believe this change will allow better transition between seasons, for instance by anticipating the possibility of larger temperature excursions in the fall, after a monotonous summer.
Changes were made in wret.exe to the plots of error versus date and versus departure from normal, to increase readability and reflect the changes listed in (1), above.
Bitmap plots, named errdate.bmp and errdep.bmp, are now made when the plots mentioned in (2) above are viewed, or when autolearn.exe completes its run of wret.exe.
The default “distance ratio” on the advection form was reduced from 1.15 to 1.1, as this now appears to make more accurate fits for upwind advection profiles.
An occasional overflow error (Visual Basic error number 6) resulting from the use of the Cint function in Visual Basic, with values over 32,767, was corrected by using Int(x+.5) instead. This error may have existed for a long time, but the change in the distance ration from 1.15 to 1.1 may have made it more likely to show up.
A routine intended to better model mixing out of morning temperature inversions was found to have bad effects (a brief dip in temperature around noon) on cloudy days with light winds, mainly in winter at high latitudes. This has been corrected by phasing the effect out as cloud cover increases.
Changes were made to hopefully avert a rare printer error in cases when no printing was requested.
Changes were made to slightly reduce the diurnal temperature range and also the rate of air mass modification in colder than normal weather. This was based on careful study and re-running of forecasts of historical data, mainly during arctic air outbreaks.
A sort of climatological filtering has been applied when GFS model data is being used, so that temperatures past about 2 days into the forecast are trended slightly towards normal. This “correction” is actually only about half the theoretically optimum value, so as to preserve some of the underlying run-to-run variability, but still tone down unrealistic extremes which crop up at times. The treatment is season and location specific, by taking into consideration typical standard deviation of error in GFS data along with typical standard deviation of actual temperature.
Maximum daily snow depth was added (to the existing average daily snow depth) in the Supplemental Dat section in the scrolling text output and in latest.txt.
Internal changes were made in the main forecast module to allow room for the additional code.
The learned bias corrections displayed under Preferences/Settings in WXSIM are now in familiar units (i.e. degrees F or C) instead of the cryptic raw values diplsayed in previous versions.
A failure to clear out old data had sometimes caused brief (only in the first three hours or less of the forecast) excursions, mainly in barometric pressure, when using GFS data. This has been corrected.
A very slight increase in the weighting of the “clear thickness maxiumum” (an estimate of clear sky maximum temperature based on the thickness of the lowest 130 millibars or so of the atmosphere) was made, so that daily maximum temperatures will be constrained slightly (a couple of tenths of a degree, typically) closer to this figure.

regards,

Is there any way to reset the install ?

My forecast runs are constantly corrupted with ###### appearing in the forecast and error 5 and error 6’s being repeated.

I can’t find my original email that had my site files so don’t know what I need to put back for new install