Windows 7 Gained More New Users Than Windows 10 In Last Two Months

Digital Trends Article

in 100 years ho cares niko, win 10 is here to stay :wink:

Honestly, I can’t make up my mind if windows 10 is better or not. My wife has it on her Asus laptop and has issues on and off. I would say the fence on that one, 50/50. My computer has a video card that won’t support windows 10. It still has 7 in it. I am getting ready to build a new computer and it would be able to handle windows 10. I am hoping it will be even better by the time i am ready to install it on my new computer. We will see…

When Windows 10 first came, me no like - big time. Now after the latest updates, it’s fine, I had problem moving away from my beloved Windows 7. I use as my main OS on my work laptop, it just runs, and I make some fairly hefty demands on it with the number of VMs and processes I run. Not a single blue screen so far, and I only reboot it about once a month (when an update demands it), the rest of the time I suspend/resume.

I must admit that I have only one Windows PC and that’s the laptop which I use for WD/WXSim and that runs W7, it will never be upgraded.

All the other PCs in the house run Linux and I would never go back to Windows. I do have a W7 system to run in a virtualbox on Linux in case I need it but to be honest now it never gets used.

Stuart

Thanks for the link on the article, niko. That info does not surprise me at all on Windows 7 and Windows 10, plus it will not surprise me to see Windows 7 usage go up some more. Like Stuart, I am down to 2 machines that have 7 on them, both of which will never be upgraded. One is my Cumulus/WxSim machine, the other is my gaming machine. Both have had Windows update turned off.

I have tried Windows 10 on 3 occasions. Once was right after it was released to the public, once earlier this year, and most recently after the Anniversary Update. All 3 times I attempted to work within it for about a month each, and despised it all 3 times. It will not be in my home, period. I despise it enough that my wife and I went and purchased our first ever Mac computer about a month ago, and we love it. It is my main machine now. My wife uses her iPad Pro for her main computer. I do have Parallels on it for what Windows programs I still use (running Windows 7 updated to SP1 with Windows Update turned off).

My wife despises it as much as I do. She very recently got a new laptop at work with 10, despite her being told that it would come with 7. She hates it. Shes has informed her Boss that she wants a new laptop with 7 on it, or buy her a Mac.

John

I don’t think the underlying W10 OS is all bad, although I can’t to point to anything that works better than in W7. My problem with it is philosophical. I just want a stand-alone PC that I control, not one that forces me to share everything with Microsoft and allows them to dump “helpful” content to it :roll:

I agree with you, Niko. If I want to work with something that looks like a mobile OS, I’ll use my iPhone or iPad, not my main computer, and I agree with you on the “data” that it sends back. I have serious issues with that as to what is being sent back and to whom.

100% agreement there, niko. My home-built PC has over 10 years of 24/7 on it and runs all my Wx stuff under W7 Pro. The hardware is ‘bending’ a bit but I’ll never go to W10 there. Under consideration is building a new machine and staying with W7 Pro. My iMac ran a Parallels/W7 setup until MS dumped a W10 upgrade on it. Hate it, and seriously thinking of pulling that back to W7 Pro as well.

I’m not understanding the hate for W10 any more.

I now have a proper start menu back like W7 - well its a bit ‘different’, but better in some ways. But not that monstrosity W10 had to begin with.

The only ‘phone’ type applets are limited to a few system config type dialogs - I disabled and/or uninstalled the remaining applets. Those remaining applets run in a window just like any other application, they just look a bit ‘phoneish’.
I run Office 2016 for my real apps - plus all the 100’s of tools/utilities I need and VMware Workstation.

The various feedbacks are opt-out, not the best way of configuring it, but… Most of it is switched off automatically via group policy for me anyway as I run a corporate laptop.

Updates are pushed automatically (I accept that and don’t want to disable it, I like having the latest fixes and patches), but I control when it reboots if required.

I run lots of Linux based machines as well so I have no axe to grind - W10 just works for me as my main day-to-day machine and I don’t miss W7 anymore. And another ‘feature’ update is due before too long I believe…?

Mark, my main ‘rag’ is what niko said - “I just want a stand-alone PC that I control, not one that forces me to share everything with Microsoft and allows them to dump “helpful” content to it”. I run ClassicShell for the start menu replacement - made a huge positive difference IMHO. Maybe you are running the same. It got heated for me when they dumped W10 on my Parallels install without my permission, and the constant reminders in the beginning to update to W10. They just want far too much control, and being the old fuddy-duddy that I am they can’t have it from me. :slight_smile:

Four PC’s in this house and 3 run Win7pro, and the weather computer is still on XP.
If it’s not broke, don’t fix it.

No 10 for me!

Well, I don’t want or need cortana, one drive, the apps store, a microsoft logon to access my own PC, forced updates that include un-killing crap that I have previously killed and stop me killing them again, searches going to the web/bing when I just want to use program on the PC, news videos playing on my desktop, etc. so it’s clear to me that after 35 years as a happy Microsoft customer we have reached a parting of the ways. If that makes me an old Luddite then I’ll go buy the teeshirt and hat :smiley:

John, I agree the W10 update ‘policy’ from MS was shameful, no arguments there. I don’t run Classic Shell - I do on one machine that is running Windows 8.0 (yuk!) that is too old to update even to 8.1, I cannot find the time to downgrade it back to W7 though I’d like to.

Niko, I agree with almost everything you say too:

• I don’t have Cortana, its not mandatory, disable it.
  • OneDrive (for Business) I have for access to corporate storage but I don’t like it, the “next gen” OneDrive client is better but still 'orrible, if I didn’t have to use it I’d uninstall it.
  • I don’t use a Microsoft login either (its not mandatory, just use a local account like W7, you don’t lose anything of any worth to me and gain privacy).
  • Updates are an issue, and MS do make it unnecessarily difficult to change/control the update behaviour - you have to mess about with policy and registry settings to do a proper job.
  • When I search from the start it is limited to my local machine, web searching is optional - but enabled by default, disable it.
  • I don’t use the builtin-applets for anything, I’ve unstalled all that I can and disabled the rest, again MS make that very difficult, you have to fiddle around with CLI and remove them from the OS image otherwise they ‘helpfully’ get added back by W10 :frowning:

So yes, I don’t like lots of the ‘defaults’ either, but the once tuned to my preferences it’s fine for me. There’s probably/certainly other changes I’ve made too.

Funny, a couple of my ardent Apple club friends are bitching about the Apple devices and policies as well. One who has Apple everything from TV, through iPhone, Watch to Macbook, has just replaced his Macbook with… A high spec HP laptop running Windows 10. I nearly fell out of my chair! He said: better spec CPU/screen/battery life/thinner and he’s liking W10 :? Maybe Linux is the future after all #-o

Let’s turn it around, can you suggest anything added in W10 that I might want or need?

I had liked what I saw about Win10, made sure it was compatible with most/all of what i was running, including WD and that I DID have a certain amount of control of when I updated, and upgraded as soon as I could. Couldn’t be happier. Never went to Vista or Win 8 from Win 7 as I saw too many issues with them.

To be honest, I think too much MS hatred goes on. Personally, I prefer anything MS or Android over Apple 100 time out of a 100.

TrevP

I feel Niko is right, I want my stuff to be 100% under my control, updated when I want with what I want and I only want to install an OS which allows me to select exactly what I want in detail and only the applications I need to do what I have to do. For some time now even with W7 that has not been the case although I can and have shutdown all updates on it there is still stuff on it I never use but it is too awkward to remove so I dont bother.

As for the Mac platform I like it alot having used some Mac stuff a few years ago. What I dont like is Apple and their business practices, plus their PCs are too expensive for home use, actually most of their stuff is too expensive :wink:

So I run linux, costs nothing and I install exactly what I need to do what I want, update it when I want. I know some folks think it’s for geeks but that is no longer true, plus there are distributions which have long term support so you dont need to upgrade every 6 months if you pick the right one. Also it supports all the hardware I have so no problems there.

If folks like Windows fine you’re welcome to it and all the viruses and exploits as well. Before anyone says it I know there have been viruses etc for linux (and probably will be in the future) but very few compared to the Windows platform.

Stuart

Not a lot :smiley: I was having a similar conversation last night, why do you buy the latest iDroid 7.5 phone when your current generation phone has a decent camera, good screen, a processor that runs all your apps, GPS etc. Lots of technology areas seem to have reached a point where there is nothing really compelling about the latest revisions.

I don’t hate MS, we’ve had a happy, 35 year, relationship, but now we’ve grown apart. We’ve had some rough patches (like XP and the murder of FoxBASE) but I’ll always have good memories of DOS 6.x, Win 98SE, Win 2000, and Win 7 :smiley:

Agree on the windows 10 complaints.

However, until microsoft starts paying for my computer (and my internet for the constant data transferred), then they can have a say so in whats on my machine. But my computer is mine, not anyone else’s so that makes their choices pretty darn limited. I even find many aspects of windows 7 highly annoying just as I find Android extremely annoying. My ideal OS should just sit down, shut up and do what I tell it to. The only “notifications” I need are ECC errors, disk errors, hardware errors and related. Anything else is ‘notification spam’.

I don’t hate MS, just their current instant gratification, IoT, ‘cloud is life’ crap. My computer is not a tablet, phone, browser gaming, mobile device. But that’s me.

smashes stones together like a typical neanderthal