Davis wind sensor direction broken for the 4x times in 18 months.

good deal with wife => a years housework and work in the garden?

Good news!

NO! [-X

You can see here:
http://www.lcjcapteurs.com/product/self-powered-ultrasonic-wind-sensor/?lang=en

Hi VENTS and thanks for input.
Have been in contact with lcj supplier some weeks ago reg SONIC-ANEMO-DVC (down in this thred) and its not suitable for my area and needs.
Have max 40 m/s and no heating possible.

Finaly the Darrera heated Ultrasonic Anemometer for Davis VP2 is mounted today at 14:00, aprox 50 cm higher then the davis.
Time will show how this will perform. 8)

This will be interesting :smiley:

[quote author=Bj

Hi,

With Darrera heated Ultrasonic Anemometer wich read data every 0.5 secondes, is the receiver console can receive the data every 0.5 secondes or always 2.5 secondes.
Did the gust of Wind better?

I take contact with LCJ for the Sonic-Anemo-DZP, because my anemometer is on the roof and less electrical and the max gust Wind will not exceed 40 m/s.
The price is correct with the sent to Switzerland : 615 Euro

My web site Weather : kuffner.meteonet.ch

Hi.
The Heated Darrera reads quiker then 0.5 sec but is adapted plug/play as Davis wind sensor every 2,5 sec.
The davis dont send/read quiker then 2,5 sec.
Also the Darrera sensor is equipped with a magnetic compass and all the measurements are
automatically compensated and referred to the magnetic North.
See darrera spec in pdf file here.

3r-uav01-ultrasonic-anemometer-davis-vp2-manual-rev-a.pdf (382 KB)

Thank you.

Also, the read data of the sensor is less 0.5 seconde, but if the Vantage read every 2.5 secondes, it’s possible to lose a Wind gust max arrived after 1 seconde before the read? Or it is buffered until the read of the Davis???

In this case the read every 1 seconde is sufficent?

Does it have the possibility to correct the mag reading to true north, or do you have to do that in the Davis console?

Hi Niko.

Nothing to correct or adjust on sensor, the build in compass set it self.
Example: same compass as in a apple iphone so it will always be correct, i checked my darrera and it is spot on, compare to my old davis a few degrees.
But maybe in Davis console you can “miss” correct mag reading :wink:, i have never checked.

[quote author=Bj

Thanks Niko.

Nice to know difference around the world, i see in davis manual is possible to correct direction in any way you want if needed.
Any web sites showing the difference in magnetic vs thru north?

Davis consol Calibrate wind direction.JPG

True, you can fix it in Davis, I wondered if it had any native correction facility.

This map allows you to search a location.

This map shows “isogonic lines”, like contour lines everywhere on a line has the same compass deviation. e.g. for everyone on the red 10 line their compass will point 10 degrees east of true north. As you can see west coast USA and central eu/Russia are pretty far off in places.

Hi Niko.

Nice info :hotsun:, so using true north is the best to use.
But lucky for me i am weery close to the green line niko, so i leav it, no correction. I dont think my davis wind sensor is 100% true north ether, maybe 98-99%

Yeah, I would just go with it too, can’t get better than 1 degree :lol:

I see you have it onto the Davis FB feed with your tweet about using 2 anenometers side by side :slight_smile:

What can i say Brian… Im a Weather Nerd
some updates has been done, see photo.

So now i can compare darrera and orginal davis wind sensor :slight_smile: looks actually quite same, but nice with heater on the darrera.

Darrera wind:

Org davis wind:

low wind now, but nice to compare.

2017-04-27 12.55.02.jpg

My anemometer did that once. The set screw that holds the vane to the shaft had come loose. Tightened it up and it is still working, 14 yrs so far, but I know I’m pushing my luck, so purchased a new one. Have the old pro2 rebuilt and have a spare again.

I know how frustrating it can be.