Davis wind sensor direction broken for the 4x times in 18 months.

hello.

Just happend again today.
Has anyone experiensed this issue??, is the davis vantage pro2 wind direction sensor this bad. #-o
After some wind from 20 m/s to 41 m/s xx of times over a period, the the wind direction suddenly just parked it self to the north. Finito.
nothing is visualy broken on the wind sensor.
This is the 4 time in 18 months, just as long as i hhave been moving up hill from centrum.
See graph photo when defect occurs, and also placement of station.

Even my netatmo wind sensor mounted in same place overlive the davis!!!

Any ideas?? What to doooooo!!!
Change it again after wind settles down :x

By a Vaisala with no moving parts…

My original VP anemometer survived many years 1 km from ocean in the the cold Pacific fog :dontknow:

Are you sure it’s not a cable issue?

is the vane still moving?
i.e do you mean the actual vane is going to north and getting stuck there?

Thanks for inputs.

Its not the cable or connections. As when removal of 3x other ones inside iss also tested her with connect/disconnect.
As soon as new complete wind sensor is connected directions works, but not the old ones.

The vain is still moving freely and looks normal.
Today its wind from west-southwest, but direction pointing north…

and so its showing the incorrect north reading on the console too?

At least earlier had Peet Broos a windvane made for harsh conditions. Could be cheaper in the long run to get that one.

Btw. I have for some time looked at the Norwegian windspeeds, they are pretty insane at times, its nothing unusual their metoffice met.no stations reports 45+ m/s (160 kmh/100 mph) speeds. Add to that ice/snow/Atlantic salty air…

Thats correct Brian, showing the incorrect north reading on the consoles too, steady always north, and wind wain moves around normaly.
Seems like the direction potensiometer cant stand the load under high wind force, if some turbulence (vain moves just some cm quickly from side to side).
Else i dont understand way this is happening, but always under high wind from 20m/s and up.

Visual all ok working after change: Prosjekt - YouTube

Any plug/play ultrasonic wind/direction sensor available on the marked for davis vantage pro2 ??

and now i just mounted a new complete davis anemometer kit for the 4 time. All back to normal. See photo.

Agree on that one @weatherc 8)

https://www.scientificsales.com/UltraSonic-Upgrade-Kit-for-Davis-Vantage-Pro2-p/6400.htm?

I get windspeeds here of 30m/s or higher but I have not seen this problem

Thanks alot Brian for info.
We have had windspeeds gusting over 60 m/s, some years ago, house roofs was flying around here, insurance companys was crying.
I see this ultrasonic one goes: Wind speed range: 0.25-45 m/s, also need power supply, and then a ups on this one is needed when power goes out, this is not sufficient, but thanks, and price $769.00 #-o !!

Again i think a vaisala with heater for winter is a preferable choice, but this one dont have solar or uv sensor.

Maybe ask davis for volume discount :wink:

60 m/s is insane 8O

134 mph 8O

Thanks again for inputs :slight_smile:

Possible you or all can upload photos of placement of your wind sensor? place its mounted/standing compare to surroundings??
Mine as you se on photo in this thred is 1,8 m over roof top, up hill, nothing around is higher except mother earth.
Just curious compare to my place/surroundings. obviously this defect has something to do with quick gust winds.

The funny thing is netatmo wind sensor seems to like it here, but had to make some air holes for water condensation inside, in the lower/upper part :smiley:

The drum of cable you see on roof tilings is for rain bucket heater.

maybe the netatmo sensor is causing turbulance ?
it seems to be direct up wind?
hard to tell on angles from photo

Good input :slight_smile:
Also was in my mined, but can not bee Brian?
Davis lower part is mounted horizontally some cm clear/higher then the netatmo.
also regard to high wind direction, the netatmo is not in the path, but near yes.
House roofs are flying when wind is coming from the bridge in the horizon you see on photo, southwest.

Little bit better photo here.

20 ft above roof, roughly 33ft off the ground.

Nice photo:-) @looney2ns
How is it to do service when so long? like with me, need to change wind sensor 3x time ayear #-o

I unhook the three guy wires, take out a bolt on one leg of the tripod, and lay the entire setup down on the left portion of the roof. The other two legs act as a hinge.

Hi all.

i have now change the position of davis wind sensor, couple of days ago.
Davis at top and netatmo down, see photo.
I have tryed this before, see balcony photo.
But maybe lucky, due to now mounted on rof top.

Any chance the mast is swaying in the wind? Maybe use guy ropes to hold it. If the anenometer is swaying could it be wearing out the bearings?

Thanks alot for input.

Old mast was swaying on as you can see on balcony photo regarding height, but this one is 2m height made of solid45x5mm flight aluminium, no flex here, ZERO.
Im now ready for winter storms up to 50 m/s, again :wink: hope this year it will stand the force. Already new wind sensor kit on the way for backup…