MS sql server support

Last November you started a thread about creating something that would export to MS sql server, I assume something similar to what you do for mysql. Is that something you are still considering? While I recognize that most users are using mysql, there are some of us using MS sql server and now that you can install it for free there might be some others that might want to give it a try.

For those that might be interested you can now install the full enterprise version of sql server 2016 for free. It is intended for developers on a single core.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/cloud-platform/sql-server-editions-developers

http://discourse.weather-watch.com/p/476189

Not to split hairs but that thread was about SQLite which is a somewhat different animal, but as I read the MS info I see Express which is both free and has a version that looks similar.

I believe your right. For some reason in my mind I saw SQL Lite and thought SQL Express, which I have used in the past.

But as I mentioned in the opening post, MS SQL Server 2016 can be had free from MS, and it would be nice to have some sort of direct connection similar to what exists for /my SQL.

That is an interesting development :slight_smile:

So just looking for a weigh in from Brain.

Is this doable or should I drop it and move on?

I am going to assume since Brian has not responded that this is a dead request.

it is possible I could connect to MS SQL, via ODBC
but I am not seeing lots of other people posting in this thread wanting this feature
and with only limited spare time (after I answer all the emails and forum questions, improve/fix bugs/ enhance, etc), its not really a very high priority
maybe one day

been doing some investigating and this does look feasible

That’s good to know and appreciated.

Not sure that a lot of people are aware that you can download the full enterprise version of MS SQL Server @ https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/cloud-platform/sql-server-editions-developers for free.

I have found a component i can use to work with MSSQL
but its not free

Is this a one time cost, that maybe I can help with, or an ongoing cost?

it was a one off cost
but I have found another way, with no cost, and have been able to create a simple test sql table and update data to it

first beta (its similar to the wdmysql program):
http://www.weather-display.com/downloadfiles/wdmssql.zip
make sure to set the switch on in WD under control panel, mysql setup
(if wdmysql.exe runs, then just exit that)
check to make sure the server version is correct

then tick start updating when WD starts up
click on save
and then it should connect and create the table and start logging the data after a few minutes

I may take a look at this.

I already use an SQL Server Db to store my weather data, from WD.

I convert the logfiles at the end of month to a format that i then import to a DailyWeatherLog table, and from this table via various bits of SQL, populate other tables. The main DailyWeatherLog table has 5,650,611 rows in it, which is the log file data starting back to October 2005.

What is the format of the table that gets the data ingested into it, or is this custom with the set up ?

regards

TrevP

What is the format of the table that gets the data ingested into it
same as wdmysql format you can select what coumns

Attempted to get this running but no luck. I get an error "Error connecting"I am sure there is something I have missed.

I have attached 2 images (I hope), first is my SQLServer login screen and second is the WD MSSQLsetup screen.

sql_Loggin.png

its server version, not server name
the default probably would have worked
SQLNCLI11.1

and for username, leaving that blank probably would have worked too

Thanks for the reply

I have now used SQLNCLI11.1, both with and without the user name, but still get an error connecting message

but , do you have version 11.1 MSSQL
i.e you put your version number there

try a new download
where more information is provided about the error