Weather Display and 1-wire Soil Moisture

Hi - I have a Davis Vantage Pro + 2940USB 1-wire reader + numerous temps sensors + the Hobby boards Soil Moisture/Leaf wetness board connected and all hooked up to WD. When i first set up and added the 1-wire moisture sensor some months ago the WD Davis extra sensors (and the output from clientraw.txt + 1-wire reader) used to display moisture readings in cbar. I’ve had a few problems with the board recently and abandoned using it for a few weeks. I’ve since now re-added (having updated WD a few times) and now notice that the reading appear to be gathered in % rather than cbar? So my raw reading appear to go from 0-100% for moisture (including Leaf wetness) instead of the cbar or leaf 0-15. Can anyone tell me why this might be like this? has something changed with WD or do i have a faulty board?

there are 2 readings
one is cbar
the other is estimated %
i.e there are 2 custom tags
for you to choose

yes I’ve got those and using both however the output from the 1-wire reader is now showing raw data in % instead of cbar, so in effect this means that the values in WD are reversed, so for example a raw ready of 7 from hobbyboard sensor gives a soil moisture of 96.5%.

So previously a saturated reading produced a raw figure (in the 1-wire reader display) of 0 but now it displays 100, previously a Dry reading = 255 but now it reads 0! so somehow the reader program is converting the reading to percentages instead of keeping it in cbar?

can you post a screen shot of what you are seeing and where?

Ok - its quite hard to explain :?. So I’ve attached two screen shots. The ‘Hobbyboards 1-wire’ screen shot is the raw output (it now shows values in % and no longer in cbar or whatever it did show before e.g 0 - 255). I’ve also shown how this looks in terms of how WD sees it by creating a custom view and adding the tags (i’m not showing the single percentage value tag). Basically i tested the sensors tonight by putting them into water and got near enough readings of 100, then dried them off and got readings of 0. So basically your soil readings are now showing % moisture instead of cbar.

Also for clarity this is what i have setup in Hobby boards reader;

moist #1 = soil moisture sensor no.1 (buried in the lawn)
moist #2 = soil moisture sensor no.2 (buried in flower bed)
moist #3 = leaf wetness sensor (this actually display correctly as Leaf Wetness no.3 and converts the percentage figure to a value between 0 - 15)
moist #4 = not used (hence why it displays 0)

Another thing too I export to WU and WU displays the Leaf wetness AND Soil Moist 1 using moist #1, i think WD converts the percentage value of moist #1 to get the leaf wetness value, would be good if WD can chuck my moist #3 as the leaf wetness value instead of moist #1, so that it displays the correct sensor.

Any help here would be great :slight_smile:

Hobby boards 1-wire screen shot.JPG

Readings in WD.JPG

vers 4.4 is the latest version of the HB 1 wire reader
and it is the raw value that is displayed…no conversion to %

Thanks Brian :D, i’ve looked through the downloads section but i don’t see that version? Where might i find that? Also do you have any guidance on separating Leaf wetness 3 from Soil 3?

which version of WD are you using?

10.37S23

its included in the full install

OK- pulled the file from a fresh install on another PC now loads 1-wire reader v4.4 but its made now difference. I’ve attached screen shot again, to be honest its not a big deal as the values in % are ok but the leaf wetness being combined with Moist #1 is as its not displaying the correct reading in WU. :? I’m now thinking that other files are out of date…i tend to update the latest once per year so maybe i miss some file updates?

the value in the HB 1 wire reader is the raw reading
there is no conversion to % done…never has been

I did add a new custom tag to give a estimated %, but that does not affect the reading in the 1 wire reader or any other moisture reading in WD