APRS / CWOP Question

Greetings,

So, I went to check on my APRS / CWOP status, and I’m receiving a message that no data has been uploaded for 28 days. I have my Davis VP2 station calculating Elevation Pressure, based on the elevation that I established and then sync’d it with the local airport. So, my question is: It looks I might need to check the “Send Altimeter pressure (Davis VP station)?” I’m not sure if WD will alter the data, or will it just do a pass-through of my weather station’s B-pressure on to CWOP? I’ve included a couple of screen shots.

Missed a couple of screen shots to help.

Thanks,
Randy

APRS-CWOP Status.jpg

So I decided to check the "Send Altimeter pressure (Davis VP station) to see what happens and I’m receiving 2 different readings. 30.574 in. altimeter pressure (from the APRS / CWOP) screen and 30.217 from the station screen. Interesting…

re the CWOP
do you have a croncwop.exe program
and what shows in the
CWOPlogsend.txt file?

Thank you Brian for your quick response! Yep, I do have the the program and log file. I’ve attached them.

croncwop.exe.jpg

CWOPlogsend.txt.jpg

is the time stamp on that log file recent?
(i.e at the time the data should be sent)

your data is recent when I view it here
http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?CW3873

Interesting. Yes, the log file appears to be current (I’ve attached a screen shot). So I’m wondering why I get the message of no data is being received and secondly, why is there a discrepancy for the barometric pressure reading between what’s being displayed in Control Panel/CWOP and the Main Screen? I included the B-Pressure difference on my original post. The main screen is reflecting the same value from the VP2 station, so it looks like WD is doing some type of calculation ‘behind the scenes’, possibly?

CWOPlogsend-date.jpg

you would need to select to use that CWOP barometer for WD data

I believe I’m already using it unless there’s another place within WD I do not have it set? See attached screen shot.

CWOP Setting.jpg

that screen shot does not show setting I am meaning
which is in the altimeter barometer setup

Ahh, sorry about this. Are you looking for this?

no, its in the CWOP setup

altimeter barometer setup tab

you have already posted a screen shot of that settings tab already

Randy,

CWOP is reporting data as being received over the last 28 days, except for Wednesday August 10.

Data Status
Over the last 28 days, no data was seen on the following dates: 2016-08-10.

Gus

Thanks Gus! That could be the answer to my first question for the 28 days — my bad, I took as no data for 28 days. So then my other question is why am I seeing this discrepancy if I enabled it? Isn’t altimeter pressure the same as elevation pressure?

if you want WD to use the altimeter baro
then you need to tick that setting you have an arrow pointing to in the screen shot you have just posted
as per my post above

I wanted to provide a follow-up to what I have discovered since initially posting. I believe I was doing a couple of things incorrectly, which were: 1) Incorrectly calibrating the VP2 barometric pressure with the reported Units, "in vs. mb) to the closest airport near where I live, and 2) Not choosing the correct WD settings to send the data to CWOP / MADIS once calibrated. What facilitated my question from the beginning was CWOP/MADIS has been failing my weather station on the barometric pressure (RED X) and all of the other readings are 2 thumbs-up (Green). The saying goes, “Green is good, Red is bad”.

After researching this, I discovered the VP2 only uses Sea-Level Pressue (SLP) — very important! So when I initially set the VP2 pressure (based on the airport), I used the the Elevation Pressure (from the airport), reason being it was being display in inHG and mb, whoops ---- I have my weather setup to use inHG, not mb — that probably was mistake #1, not knowing the VP2 only uses sea level (mb)!.

For #2, I have checked the 2 WD options (Send Altimeter pressure and Use this pressure for baro reading). Things so far are looking more appropriate.

Given this, I have used the latest airport reading using the mb setting for SLP, and after converting it, I’ve entered the converted value into the VP2 for the new reference barometric pressure. I’ve also set the WD settings accordingly and will see how things go. Just wanted to share this in case any one else gets the Red X :slight_smile: I’ve attached a couple of screen shots which will hopefully illustrate what I believe I was doing incorrectly.

Thanks much!
Randy

WD Pressure Conversion.jpg