cloudy cloudy

Author Topic: Raspberry Shake Seismograph  (Read 2778 times)

Offline Forever

• Santa Cruz, CA
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win 7/Srvr 2008R2
  • Mozilla compatible
    • WeatherCat
Raspberry Shake Seismograph
« on: July 27, 2016, 12:59:09 PM »
Anyone else thinking about getting a Raspberry Shake to monitor earthquake activity?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/angelrodriguez/raspberry-shake-your-personal-seismograph

Will be interesting to see how easy it is to add the information to my site.

Offline niko

• syzygy
  • Global Moderator
  • Crystal Ball broken! Please post the URL.
  • Northern California, U.S.A.
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win 7/Srvr 2008R2
  • Chrome 51.0.2704.106
Re: Raspberry Shake Seismograph
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 01:38:14 PM »
I don't think it will be sensitive enough to be worthwhile for most people. There are other DIY seismograph projects that can give better results.

Offline Forever

• Santa Cruz, CA
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win 7/Srvr 2008R2
  • Mozilla compatible
    • WeatherCat
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 02:15:49 PM »
When you say not sensitive enough for most people do you mean people not close to a fault lines? This is not a problem I have living in California.

Do you have examples of other kits that will do a better job?

Offline niko

• syzygy
  • Global Moderator
  • Crystal Ball broken! Please post the URL.
  • Northern California, U.S.A.
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win 7/Srvr 2008R2
  • Chrome 51.0.2704.106
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 03:25:12 PM »
When you say not sensitive enough for most people do you mean people not close to a fault lines? This is not a problem I have living in California.

The claim is "about magnitude 2 and higher within a radius of 50 miles, and a magnitude 4 and higher in a radius of 300 miles". Most of the day to day quakes around CA are around magnitude 2. 50 mi radius from SC is Hayward, not quite to I5 going E, and somewhere S of Salinas. That's not a lot of coverage. There is maybe one 4.0 or greater in the state each week, but 300 mi only barely gets you to north LA. As I read the information this is not an instrument that is going to show major overseas quakes.

Only you can determine if it's worthwhile to you. For me, the USGS has great quake data available, and unlike crowd sourced wx networks there's no microclimate argument to be made, so limited data, limited coverage, and not really a construction project are three strikes.

There was a discussion here about lower cost seismographs which covered quite a few different options. The TC1/Slinky works well and will record distant quakes.

Offline Phate

• OS/Browser:
  • Mac OS X 10.10.5
  • Safari 10.0.1
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 07:09:20 PM »
I backed this kickstarter project.

It hopefully will arrive before Christmas.

Our town is virtually on top of active mines. I'm hoping I may be able to pick up these mine blasts.

I've been pushed towards Weather Display by a friend. We are currently trying to integrate some grove sensor data into weather display without much luck.

Currently stuck at the data saved to an sql database. Not quite sure the direction to take next. Output to clientraw.txt and import that?

Either way I'm excited to see that I may even be able to incorporate the raspberry shake into Weather Display.

The low sensitivity talk is a little worrying tho  #-o

Offline GarthBock

• Bloomington/Normal, Il.
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 10.0
  • Firefox 50.0
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 08:12:02 PM »
While this is an interesting RasbPi based device (I think it is neat to see new realworld applications of the Pi), for some areas like mine in central Illinois the low sensitivity kind of is a deal breaker. If it were to sound an alarm like a smoke detector (didn't play the whole video) it would be a bit more interesting. What I am interested is another Davis external box like the external anemometer transmitter that would host a CO2, radiation, air clarity sensor or other, that could be hosted natively by updates to say VWS, WD, Cumulus, etc. I know about some of the weather software having "extra sensors" settings. I am not talking about a self made box for CO2, a box for radiation....etc. but an external box like the Davis anne transmitter where you plug in the additional sensors (hopefully more affordable than the UV) and check a box in WD or VWS or Cumulus to activate and display the data. Davis, OS, Rainwise, etc.....ya listening ?

Offline Forever

• Santa Cruz, CA
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win 7/Srvr 2008R2
  • Mozilla compatible
    • WeatherCat
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 08:37:53 PM »
I got my Shake last week and it's working great. I picked up the 6.5 quake 329 miles from me really well. People reported pickup the 7.8 Solomon Islands quake from thousands of miles away. I had too muck background noise to be sure if I could see it. I need to place the unit someplace with less environment noise. It's picking up the fames in my PC case and it looks like lots of little quakes when the cats run around the house.  #-o

Offline MichaelPT

• Staffordshire Nr Leek
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 10.0
  • Chrome 54.0.2840.99
    • Weather-Above
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 03:25:40 AM »
I got my Shake last week and it's working great. I picked up the 6.5 quake 329 miles from me really well. People reported pickup the 7.8 Solomon Islands quake from thousands of miles away. I had too muck background noise to be sure if I could see it. I need to place the unit someplace with less environment noise. It's picking up the fames in my PC case and it looks like lots of little quakes when the cats run around the house.  #-o

What software does it use? Have you got any images of the quake you picked up
I have two seismic instruments one home-made and one made by rockwave

I was I would be interested in seeing what results you're getting
mick

Offline Forever

• Santa Cruz, CA
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win 7/Srvr 2008R2
  • Mozilla compatible
    • WeatherCat
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 05:52:19 PM »
I'm currently using the Swarm software. I only look at live data and the few days data that are stored. I had a few screen shots but I think they got lost when I updated my PC. :(

If anyone is interested there is a new Kickstarter campaign for an updated version of the Raspberry Shake.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1158786437/raspberry-shake-4d-detect-earthquakes-and-invisibl?ref=user_menu

Offline Forever

• Santa Cruz, CA
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win 7/Srvr 2008R2
  • Mozilla compatible
    • WeatherCat
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 12:41:47 AM »
Just had two small quakes 2.9 and 3.1 18 miles from me and took screenshots of what the Raspberry Shake saw.
The rest of the noise is cars driving down the street and such.

http://www.weathercat.net/wxquake.php

Offline Weather Display

• Davis VP2
  • New Zealand
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 10.0
  • Chrome 59.0.3071.115
    • Weather Display
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 04:36:25 PM »
Nice :)

Offline Forever

• Santa Cruz, CA
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win 7/Srvr 2008R2
  • Mozilla compatible
    • WeatherCat
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2017, 11:40:17 AM »
Hi all, if you're interested there are still 2 days to get a Raspberry Shake 4D at a discount through the Kickstarter campaign.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1158786437/raspberry-shake-4d-detect-earthquakes-and-invisibl?ref=discovery

Offline Forever

• Santa Cruz, CA
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win 7/Srvr 2008R2
  • Mozilla compatible
    • WeatherCat
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2017, 04:39:43 AM »
I was surprised to see that I picked up the North Korea nuclear test that was 5424 miles away from me.  8O

Offline Weather Display

• Davis VP2
  • New Zealand
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 10.0
  • Chrome 60.0.3112.90
    • Weather Display
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2017, 05:37:50 AM »
 8O 8O

Offline NorCal Dan

• Dan - KJ6RGX
  • Davis Vue/Win10
  • Ocean Park, WA.
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 10.0
  • Chrome 60.0.3112.113
    • Traveling RV Weather
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2017, 03:26:11 AM »
Your device caught it, or your app downloaded the data over the internet to display?

Are you picking up any activity from Idaho?

cumulus