Windows 10 Subscription Fee?

Wow… Crippling much?

Dan, if there were a way to plug cards into my iMac I’d be on it in a second. Running an old version of Dreamweaver on it now under Parallels and Windoze 10 - didn’t want to pay Adobe their monthly fee for the new version. Too bad…

I’ve never been able to figure out how to turn off M$ updates on my Win10 machine, and I’m worried that at some point it will “upgrade” the OS and some of these “features” will end up on my machine. None of what I’ve read sounds like anything I want on my machine. The future of Win10 does not look good.

jgillett, I knew when I purchased my iMac that is would not be possible to install cards. It hasn’t really been an issue for me and I am very pleased with my Mac. I did replace the hard drive a few years ago, but other than that it’s been a great machine. For a machine that I run 24/7 year after year I have no complaints. I did run Parallels and WinXP on it until the XP side got infected with the RansomWare virus that encrypted both Mac and XP files on the hard drive. I took Parallels off and will never run it again.

I disabled the windows update service on mine using services.msc.

Dan, if I moved to my iMac I’d have to give up my lightning pages, which I’m not ready to do right now (I need the Boltek setup). Decisions, decisions…

I did create a mac program to work with a serial boltec…

Thanks, Brian. I already have the PCI version and am not able to buy another. Also, AFAIK, the iMac does not have serial ports as such, just USB 3.0.

You could use a USB-Serial adaptor, so that’s not a limitation. Full size PCI slots are becoming extinct on the PC side too :frowning:

Understood, niko. I built mine over 10 years ago and am now wondering if the current troubles are deeper into the hardware rather than just the HD.

I don’t see the PCI stormtracker on the Boltek website now, but the LD250 is listed at $1,200 8O That’s a heck of a price for something that’s been in production a long time.

Quite true, niko, and kinda proves my point of unable to buy. No legitimate reason for something to be that high for so long.

16 years ago:

LD-250 Lightning Detector . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $799.00
Includes LD-250 Receiver, Antenna, 50 feet of Antenna Cable, RS232 Cable, GPS Cable, Windows Software, and Manual.

:lol:

800 bucks seems to stick in my mind for what I paid for the PCI version almost 10 years ago.

Here we go…The Windows 10 Anniversary Update is coming on Tuesday Aug 2nd…

http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-anniversary-update

I’m starting to think this is the best promotion ever for Linux :lol:

Yeah, but it’s still “…Microsoft’s vision of personal computing…” which, IMHO, is pretty much junk. Never has fallen in line with what I want, starting out with something that actually works.

Running the anniversary edition here now and noticed a couple of issues. My 2 issues have to do with comm ports and audio devices. So far no problems with WD. Not sure why, the comm ports and audio devices work one minute but not the next. I do most of my amateur radio stuff on this machine so I noticed the comm port and audio issues right away. I’ve rebooted the machine a couple times and updated the settings for the devices and things appear to be settling down. Not convinced the issues are solved just yet but keeping my fingers crossed.

That’s the latest from here…

I gave W10 a good try but now I’m done with it. I never could solve a slow network share issue, and just about every hack I applied to tame it to be an acceptably self contained OS is apparently blocked in the anniversary edition. Reverting back to W7, and I’ll start work on converting to Linux. Pretty sad day, I’ve been happy with microsoft windows for a long time, but the direction it’s headed is not the way I want to go :frowning:

3 of 4 computers of mine are Win10 with no problems. When and IF MS starts charging the home user a yearly fee just to get updates then I will revisit the idea of re-installing Win7 or choosing another O/S. I don’t think they will stoop to that level. Right now that is being spread around that you will be charged to use Win10 which is far from the truth. By the time that happens maybe there will be a WD version for Fuscia… :lol:

The weather computer is still on Win7 and has been comfortable and quiet for the past multiple years. I might go 10 now that all the weather software authors have made the necessary patches.

So how is it going with Linux? Better than any of my previous attempts, but not yet outstanding. I installed (dual boot with W7) Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon on a Lenovo desktop and my Thinkpad. Installation was the easiest of any so far. No problems with drivers for wifi or other hardware, it just worked :smiley: Even found my Windows Network shares which I was expecting to be a huge problem :lol: A few trivial little issues like the PC clock getting confused between Win and Lin but plenty of answers to be found on the internet.

I don’t use many applications but I have had problems finding Linux apps with the same feature set as some of the Windows ones I use all the time.

Chrome Browser - very similar to win version, no issues
Filezilla FTP - very similar to the win version, no issues
Office apps - Libre Office - no issues (already used it on some Windows PC’s)
UltraEdit programming editor with remote file editing (FTP) - have not found a suitable replacement. Plenty of editors, but not with FTP. I can buy an UltraEdit upgrade which includes a Linux version but I have tested it and it’s still a bit buggy.
HyperSnap screen capture, image editor, including FTP - found Shutter which has a more limited feature set, could live with it I guess.
Picaxe (microcontroller) programming editor - Linux version AxePad has very limited functionality and I can’t yet get it to work properly :frowning:

I could probably live with it on the desktop, but the real showstopper is that the Thinkpad battery life is like 50% of what it is running Windows. Seems to be a common problem with Linux on laptops :frowning:

Guess I’ll be on Win 7 for a while longer…