Wanna build a Doppler?

Perhaps Micks next project :slight_smile:

http://ocw.mit.edu/resources/res-ll-003-build-a-small-radar-system-capable-of-sensing-range-doppler-and-synthetic-aperture-radar-imaging-january-iap-2011/

Turns out, all MIT course work is online free…

Radar System design slides: block diagram, schematics, bill of material, and fabrication instructions PDF
http://ocw.mit.edu/resources/res-ll-003-build-a-small-radar-system-capable-of-sensing-range-doppler-and-synthetic-aperture-radar-imaging-january-iap-2011/projects/MITRES_LL_003IAP11_proj_in.pdf

Very cool Bashy, thanks for posting that :smiley: Only need to add a kilowatt amp and you would really have something 8O

Mine won’t work…mine puts out 1.21 gigawatts…that reminds me…gotta go through the garbage for fuel for Mister Fusion… :lol: :lol: :lol:

did they test this one for local rain ? (1 KM radius)…would be good to know for when it bring in washing, lol
could be good for tornado chasing too (but you would need to be close), to pick up the different wind directions

Very interested playing around with something like this the amount of stuff you can learn from a project like this

I would like to build one just for the fun
Mick

This is so cool! What would the DIY world do without metal coffee cans. :wink:

How did they get a license to emit radiation for that thing? Here in the US you’d need a license from the Federal Communications Commission to power it up if it were radiating at over a few deciwatts.

Low power in a license free band :wink:

“Operates in ISM band of 2.4 GHz, approximately 10 mW TX power”

I gotcha. After finding the links to the lectures I found more info.

I was reading earlier in the thread and some comments about looking at rain out to a km or so were made.

Also this isn’t doppler per se but a SAR unit, from what I can glean. You have to move it linearly and let the algorithm (not well discussed) do the work.

Cool idea, though.

I do have an old aircraft radar that was working when the guy replaced it in his plane from years ago However the wiring harness was sacrificed and to put the effort into getting it up and running now seems beyond my abilities, although when I bought it I thought it would be a snap, just wire up a bunch of those round Army connectors and bolt the waveguide on and voila! I’m sure I’d have a hard time getting a license for that baby, too.