Windows 10 - Power Save Settings

For those who don’t want the Windows 10 power saving settings to put their PC or Laptop to sleep, close down the USB ports or generally mess with the working of their weather PC then this FAQ covers the settings to look at.

I have listed the settings I have on my own Windows 10 PC, which is set to remain on 24/7 with no password required on start up, to avoid issues if I’m not around and there’s a power cut.

From your main Start Menu:

Settings > System > Power & Sleep > Additional power settings > to the right of “Balanced (recommended)” click the “Change plan settings” link > now click the “Change advanced power settings” link and go through the following:

Balanced > Require password on wakeup > no
Hard disk > turn off disk after > never
Wireless adaptor settings > power save mode > max performance
Sleep >

• Sleep after > never
  • Allow hybrid sleep > off
  • Hibernate after > never
  • Allow wake timers > disable

USB Settings > USB selective suspend setting > disabled
PCI Express (if you have anything in the PCI slot) > Link state power management > Off
Processor Power management >

• Minimum processor state > 5%
  • System cooling policy > Active
  • Max processor state > 100%

Display >

• Turn off display after > Never (optional but I leave it on as I also use a KVM Switch and it caused problems some time ago with the screen not waking up again :wink:)
  • Enable adaptive brightness > off (doesn’t effect power settings)

Notes:
I left out internet explorer & desktop settings as they have nothing to do with the settings I’m interested in for this FAQ.
If you don’t see all of the headings above in your list then click on the “Change settings that are currently unavailable” link above the list window.

Hope that helps. :wink:

To autologin as Budgie suggests:

Windows Key + R, type netplwiz.exe in the box, hit OK
Uncheck ‘Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer’ and hit Apply
Enter username and password, re-enter password, hit OK