[SOLVED] WH3080 connection frozen

I had put it into a thread in a version from 12th april
as per the software history page
build 11 now has the data read routine not in a thread (like it originally used to be), ready to download now

Thanks Brian and sorry to keep complaining. I hope you understand this is a real problem. If it was something cosmetic, I wouldn’t bother or complain but this affects the essential functionality.
I will install and see. I guess it takes ~4 days to come up.

It is even worse #-o
Few hours and again frozen! Very disappointing. It seems I will either change the software or the weather station :frowning:

one thing to check is to make sure windows is not set to power down the USB
you could also test the much older build 81 from the download page

I checked the USB settings the first thing even before installing the weather station (saw advice on this forum).
I will go for the older build. Apart from WD, I also wonder if the weather station itself is misbehaving. I don’t know where to start investigating. Can I run Easyweather in parallel to WD?

… and this might be the explanation: http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=1931.0

Brian, is there any way the WD gets this solution implemented? Or shall I request a new station instead?

that thread relates to a mac though
and I thought you said that it was not a problem with the console (i.e restarting got the data flowing again)…or?

hmmm… you are right. It was only one time I was at my PC when this happened. I did not compare the “frozen” with actual data (on the console) so I’m not 100% sure. Other times I was away (TeamViewer access) and asked my relatives to reset the console. Before today’s reset, I shut down the WD and started the Easyweather which was not able to connect either. That proved to me that it could be hardware-related problem. It was confusing the WD latches the last good data and logs it as everything was OK. But it seems the USB (console?) is stuck.

I googled more and found Cumulus and another software (don’t remember which) has a workaround implemented for ‘USB lockup’ issue.

Only console restart made the data flowing again.

OK, so it was not necessarily related to the change in WD adding the data read routine to a thread
and looks more like its a lock up of the usb on the console

I have seen the suggested solutions to try and read the data when the console is not writing to its memory
I would need to check the time on the console is the console time does not match the pc time

is there info in some of those threads about what times to avoid when reading the data on the console?

They were mentioning an interval of 48 seconds. I have no experience with this, however, this is the refresh interval (also specs say it). Data storage can be configured from 5-240min. I had set it to 5 so far but changed to 240. But I don’t know if you have to avoid data refresh time or data storage time.

one change I had made was to increase the polling interval…
I could reduce that,that might help the situation

I will dedicate more time into those forum threads and let you know what they suggested as a solution. If there is no solid solution, I will not give you a hard time even if that means I cannot use the station reliably. Obviously I should take this into account when buying a low-cost station. It’s just frustrating the manufacturer (of the station) implements such interface. They could simply lock the access when they use it. I wouldn’t mind losing one data set every four days if that resolves the issue. Anyways… thanks for your support, I’ll try to give you useful information for a possible implementation.

… this is the response from the vendor:

Dear Customer! Pls don't conect the Station permanent with USB, you will damage the Station!! Just if the memory are full, pick up the datas

:roll:

You should ask them why, I am very curious what they will respond.

try a new .zip update, I have slowed down the read data from the usb interval back to what it used to be like
this should avoid the read/write data clashes

I’ll report back, thanks. If all OK, I’ll come back in a month :slight_smile:

It’s not the right topic but since it relates to the latest builds… I’ve updated to May18 build as suggested. Apart from the USB lock issue (which did not happen yet), the WD got crazy yesterday during the day. Symptoms:

• internet did not update
  • WD seemed to run OK (checked via TeamViewer), but…
  • I checked the settings for the internet update and they were all disabled (the files, the FTP, everything red)
  • Even after trying to enable, they got disabled by themselves (!?)
  • I could not Exit the WD (?!)
  • I had to kill the process and start it back
  • My (rain) data was messed, see http://freeweb.t-2.net/vreme_tmin/20160519.gif at about 11:30 - 12:00

Questions:

• Is it possible that this WD behaviour is linked to the latest update (May18)?
  • How can I correct the rain data? The logfile contains wrong values (updated every minute), I checked manually.

I doubt will be related to that version
sounds almost like another version was running or similar

I got the second response today:

The station save the datas on the display and our software is just to pick up the datas, if memory are full. There are no server situation on boad, but if try to use like this, the memory will damaged.

best regards

I wonder what is the number of users of WD+WH3080 on this board and their experience over the years.

is the latest change working OK now though for the lock up of the console issue?
the latest .zip update I now also have the solar info showing above the wind direction too