New Versions of WXSIM and wret.exe

Hi Everybody,

To fix a couple of “bugs” that were reported recently, I’ve just made changes to both wxsim.exe and wret.exe. Both are now referred to as Version 2016 Build 1.1. The new executables are

www.wxsim.com/wxsim.exe

www.wxsim.com/wret.exe

These should be downloaded to simply replace the ones you already have. I have not yet put them in the upgrade installer (they’re kind of “betas” for the moment), so if any problems arise, you can go back to the previous versions by running

www.wxsim.com/wxsimupg.exe

Here’s what was reported, and what I did:

(1) In WXSIM, there were sporadic reports of “No READY or GFS data found”. In some cases, at least, this was actually not “true”; data WERE found, but were judged to be “unbelievable”. Specifically, every now and then GFS chugs out a relative humidity lower than 1%. I did have a filter to reject anything that low or lower, but have now eased up on the restriction, so WXSIM will “beloeve” values as low as 0.01%. Frankly, that surprises me, but it is what it is! These very low RH’s seem to happen only in upper levels of the atmosphere, so they really won’t hurt the surface forecast, anyway.

(2) In wret.exe, a couple of people recently reported an error #9 (subscript out of range). I found this to be because these users had 10,000 or more forecasts archived! I had not considered that large of a number when dimensioning arrays (up to 9999), but in fact people running close to 20 forecasts a day for a year and half can indeed collect that many! That’s frankly too many for wret.exe/autolearn to use anyway, so the oldest forecasts (.wxf) should be placed in another folder for safekeeping. However, I don’t want users to ever have to see the error, so I’ve “pre-empted” it, by checking the numebr of forecasts before the error gets a chance to occur. Now a message box appears, instructing the user to get the number down under 10,000 by moving the older forecasts to another folder.

Please let me know how it goes!

Tom

Tom,

Wret runs fine, but WxSim crashes with this error (attached image):

Rolled back to previous version!

Thanos

error.jpg

That’s strange. Another user reported it ran fine, and I just downloaded it from the link I gave, and it runs fine. The changes I made were minor and really should affect only the GFS data import and calculations of dew point. However, I may be missing something! Let me ask you two things:

(1) Did you definitely download it into c:\wxsim, and then get asked if you wanted to rplace the existing file, and then you said yes, so that you are definitely running the new file out of the old folder?

(2) Where in the process did the error occur? Can you provide a screen shot that includes the background, as well as the error message?

Thanks!

Tom

I have the same error.
I noticed that I got the error when wxsim started to download the data from the station

Hi Tom,

Been running new versions since 30 mins after you posted them yesterday, every run since has been error free.

regards,

I am now getting the errror each time wxsim tries to run

Hi Everyone,

I’ve been running with the new version for 24 hours and it’s working fine with no issues / errors.

Regards, Simon

I had already been running the new WXSim with no problems from that, now I have installed both of these from this thread and just run a test run which completed with no errors so I’ll leave them now for the auto runs and hope all is OK.

Stuart

Latest updates/betas running fine. No issues.

Thanks Tom

The new versions have been running just fine here since installation yesterday.

• Jim

Tom, the error message occur just after the execution of wsim.exe! I just replaced the old exe file with the new one. The background of my desktop is plain without any pictures loaded, just the
applications icons.

It’s the same environment that the older wxsim.exe runs! Nothing more or less.

Tom

New versions are working fine hear for the last forecast runs. One “immediate” and one “scheduled”.

Thanks

:smiley:

MikeyM

Tom,
New versions working fine for me here since yesterday.

Chris

Hi Tom

New updates running for 24 hours and no errors…thanks

Anything new about those problems a couple of you had? I’m trying to figure out what that could be before making a new release.

Thanks!

Tom

I’ve been searching through the small code changes I made, trying to see what could possibly make a division by zero error. So far, no luck. A couple of questions (if you are one of those who has seen this error with the new version):

(1) Are you totally sure you did not install the wxsim.exe file to the Desktop? It should be installed into c:\wxsim. The icon woudl still show on the Desktop — just be sure you didn’t place the new .exe there. You should be prompted for persmission to overwrite the old file, and make sure you do NOT have the actual program wxsim.exe on the Desktop (it’s OK if the shortcut is there … that’s expected, really).

(2) If the error is happening upon importing local data from the station, please send me localdat.txt and localcal.txt right after the error happens.

Thanks!

Tom

Got a stop encountered message for my 2am forecast - will see how today goes.

Guy

Thanks for that report - I should be able to fix that one!!

Fixed it! :slight_smile: It was just an oversight of mine. I had a STOP statement (in a fairly rarely encountered place) during debugging/testing the latest version. It’s gone now. I’ve just posted the new version at

www.wxsim.com/wxsim.exe

It looks identical to the earlier one, but has a June 13 file creation date.

I’m still wondering if those earlier errors reported had ever resurfaced.

Thanks!

Tom

OK, I think I’ve fixed that problem involving a division by zero error if you were using humidex instead of heat index. Thanks so much for the feedback and files which allowed me to catch and fix it!

The upgrade to Version 2016, Build 1.2 is available now, at

www.wxsim.com/wxsimupg.exe

(and if you’ve never used the rpogram before, use the demo installer: www.wxsim.com/wxsimdem.exe)

Tom