cloudy cloudy

Author Topic: New up and coming weather station, 'Weather Flow'  (Read 9358 times)

Offline runarbg

• Drammen, Norway
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 10.0
  • Mozilla compatible
    • Konnerud weather
Re: New up and coming weather station, 'Weather Flow'
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2016, 06:50:41 AM »
If you need snow measurements, though, our stations are not for you.

For me it's not about measuring snow, but measuring precipitation. And precipitation needs to be measured all year, also when it snowing. Otherwise the statistics will be completely wrong!

But I get your message: This station is not for me and the hundreds millions of people who live in part of the world where it's snowing at least one day of the year.

Offline weatherc

• Salo, Finland
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win 7/Srvr 2008R2
  • Firefox 46.0
    • Weatherstation Salo,FI
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2016, 01:02:23 PM »
Living on 60N where snowfall are possible about 6 month/year or more i have to agree with runarbg, station is not for us north living peoples as now.

First thing i noted was the gap in the windthing, with snow/sleet/icy will it just fail without heating or other way to remove snow from it. Also the possible to measure precip all year are a must.

One thing what all PWS-makers have failed on so far that not one station have built-in snowdepth-measurements even as option.

From the specs-point are one thing that (almost) all stations specs stops at -40C. Thats too early for some part of users, it should need to go down to -60C to be the "perfect wx-station".

Offline erikmm

• Denmark
New up and coming weather station, 'Weather Flow'
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2016, 03:59:41 PM »
Also not taking in consideration, the more competion often causes lower prices (not always I know), more development to be ahead competitors and not at least I think it has a future along with Netamo.

I even think we are going to look more of these products in the future, and hopefully Davis may have to lower there prises some day.

And if it has IFTTT we properly also will see more Home Automation users will look that way...
Correction, Ahhhhh, just seen is HAS IFTTT 😁

Erik M M
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 04:18:56 PM by erikmm »
Erik M Madsen

Offline erikmm

• Denmark
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2016, 04:04:18 PM »
station is not for us north living people

One thing what all PWS-makers have failed on so far that not one built-in snowdepth-measurements

I agree here...

Erik M Madsen

Offline erikmm

• Denmark
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2016, 04:10:03 PM »
About the display futured in the fall 2016, it has to be more versatile, since a cheap tablet, a free kiosk app and your are going with Wunder Ground as shoved on the homepage.

Maybe more like a "move around blocks where you want, showing what you want and when, with history as you want it"
Yes, I know, just an idea...
Erik M Madsen

Offline weatherflow

• http://got.wf/sws/
  • New Smyrna Beach, Florida, USA
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 10.0
  • Chrome 51.0.2704.84
    • WeatherFlow
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2016, 02:44:59 PM »
Hi folks. We totally agree that air quality is becoming more and more important. And an outdoor AQ device that integrates with a PWS seems like a great idea. As you can see on Indiegogo, we're already planning to do an INDOOR version ("BREATHE") soon. And we are also considering an outdoor AQ unit for the future.

Regarding measuring snow (either water equivalent or actual inches), we would LOVE to figure out how to include that in a home weather station. But requiring a heater would change the power requirements by several orders of magnitude, as you can imagine. It's safe to say, however, that our forthcoming commercial line of weather stations will include a snow option at some point.

As for the DISPLAY, "move around blocks where you want, showing what you want and when, with history as you want it" is a brilliant idea, and it's basically what we're working on. We'll be posting screenshots of the app to our Indiegogo campaign soon.

Speaking of the DISPLAY, it's surprising how little feedback we're getting on that through our Indiegogo campaign. We're starting to wonder if it's even necessary. Curious to know what this community thinks about that?

David

Offline hankster

• North Fort Myers FL
  • OS/Browser:
  • Mac OS X 10.11.5
  • Chrome 52.0.2743.33
    • North Fort Myers Weather
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2016, 07:33:45 PM »
For me I think it is important just not sure at what price point. I currently have a cheap tablet running 24/7 that displays info from my web site using a special web page I made just for the tablet. It grabs updates every 15 seconds. I know different people like different things but mine is mostly text based so I can easily read the important info (temp. wind speed, rain, pressure, dew point and humd.) from across the room. Things like highs/lows for the day are in smaller fonts and I can get closer if I want to see that.

IMHO, it's much harder to read these things from far away if they are displayed as fancy gauges and graphs. Having movable blocks would be great as everyone has different needs.

What might be an option is to have an app designed for tablets so users could just use their own tablet since they can now be purchased so cheaply and many have them laying around not being used. There are a number of advantages and disadvantages going either way (app or dedicated hardware).

« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 07:41:05 PM by hankster »

Offline runarbg

• Drammen, Norway
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 10.0
  • Mozilla compatible
    • Konnerud weather
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2016, 06:56:39 AM »
Regarding measuring snow (either water equivalent or actual inches), we would LOVE to figure out how to include that in a home weather station. But requiring a heater would change the power requirements by several orders of magnitude, as you can imagine. It's safe to say, however, that our forthcoming commercial line of weather stations will include a snow option at some point.

Changing the power requirements must be much better than getting incorrect data for precipitation?

Offline DougW

• Ardmore, OK
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win 7/Srvr 2008R2
  • Mozilla compatible
    • Ardmore Weather Live
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2016, 07:06:20 AM »
Hit the pre-order button out of curiosity and get:

Offline weatherc

• Salo, Finland
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win 7/Srvr 2008R2
  • Firefox 47.0
    • Weatherstation Salo,FI
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2016, 08:23:23 AM »

Isn't just possible to add an power-plug to the thing what measure precip so those who need the heating just can add the power as some kind of option? The ability to get accurate precip-measurements every day of the year are a MUST.

One thing i don't understand is (this applys to others too), why first build a station and then ask "what do you think about it?" instead of FIRST ask what the real users wants and THEN build the station based on that info? Here is the reason for why we still runs 10+ years old Davises as "best whats available for resonable price"...
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 08:25:52 AM by weatherc »

Offline Devil

• Cyprus 3325'E 3455'N 300 m up
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 10.0
  • Firefox 46.0
    • Mosfiloti weather services
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2016, 09:34:25 AM »
One thing i don't understand is (this applys to others too), why first build a station and then ask "what do you think about it?" instead of FIRST ask what the real users wants and THEN build the station based on that info?
I'm not sure, but this may be a function of crowd-funding requirements ???
Devil

Offline hankster

• North Fort Myers FL
  • OS/Browser:
  • Mac OS X 10.11.5
  • Chrome 52.0.2743.33
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2016, 11:55:54 AM »
I think many are missing the target audience for this station. The vast majority of consumers is not interested in the water equivalent of snow. What would be of more interest to the majority is an accurate way to measure snow depth.

Davis Pro owners are in a different class, they've already spend upwards of $1K on a system. In reality, what percentage of Davis Pro owners actually have heaters on their station?

Offline weatherc

• Salo, Finland
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win 7/Srvr 2008R2
  • Firefox 47.0
    • Weatherstation Salo,FI
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2016, 01:18:48 PM »
I think many are missing the target audience for this station. The vast majority of consumers is not interested in the water equivalent of snow. What would be of more interest to the majority is an accurate way to measure snow depth.

Davis Pro owners are in a different class, they've already spend upwards of $1K on a system. In reality, what percentage of Davis Pro owners actually have heaters on their station?

Sorry if be rude but that answer sounds like from one what NOT gets snow 6+ months of the year (FL = Florida?).
If want measure accurate precip 24/7/365 are the heater a must north of say 55N in Europe (maybe even more south). Not to forgot the Alps and other mountain-areas or Canada.

Offline weatherflow

• http://got.wf/sws/
  • New Smyrna Beach, Florida, USA
  • OS/Browser:
  • Win NT 10.0
  • Chrome 51.0.2704.84
    • WeatherFlow
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2016, 01:59:18 PM »
@DougW: Not sure why you're getting that warning - igg.me is Indiegogo's URL-shortening service. Here's the full URL it should expand to:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/weatherflow-smart-weather-stations/x/11673815

@weatherrc: It's certainly possible to create a heated snow collector, it's just not part of what these initial home weather stations do. Hopefully we'll add a device that measures snow in the future.

Thanks again for all the feedback - keep it coming!

David

Offline hankster

• North Fort Myers FL
  • OS/Browser:
  • Mac OS X 10.11.5
  • Chrome 52.0.2743.33
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2016, 06:19:52 PM »
Sorry if be rude but that answer sounds like from one what NOT gets snow 6+ months of the year (FL = Florida?).
You shouldn't assume anything, you what they say about those that do :) I lived in Michigan/Indiana for 60 years of my life, close to Lake Michigan putting up with the lake effect snows every winter. I never once wanted to know the water equivalent of the snow. Nor have I ever known anyone personally that has ever wondered. What I always wondered was how much new snow we got. A yardstick nailed to my fencepost told me that. Yes, I've had a weather station for 20 years, 15 of them in Michigan.

I dare say that they percentage of users that want to know is a very small fraction of the total consumer base. If the unit doesn't fit your needs, use something else. Don't berate those that don't need it or don't care.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 06:23:05 PM by hankster »

cumulus