The procedure enrty point except handler 4 common could not be located - msvcrt

I see there are quite a few posts with similar issues - but following the advice hasnt fixed my problem.
I am running a FIT-PC2 (Z530 CPC @ 1.6GHz) with 1Gb Ram HDD150Gb (137 Gb free)
it runs XP 2002 SP3
It is a dedicated Weather Display machine.
I use a series of 1-wire sensors.

Some time ago after an update I had problems with mcvcrt after an upgrade - this only effected the Dallas 1wire reader & Hobby Boards 1wire reader programs. The work around was to start those programs separately first.

Recently I updated to a full new install of V10.37S Build12.
now I can not even start Weather Display.

Can anyone tell me which version of MCVCRT I need to get things running again…??

there are a number of threads about this windows XP problem
the solution is to either upgrade to W10 (which does work OK on older pc’s)
or get XP updated to all the latest patches and updates (google how to do that past the officially pushed ones)

As I said in my post
“I see there are quite a few posts with similar issues - but following the advice hasn’t fixed my problem.”

I have been thorough the process of making the required Registry changes, and believe I currently have all the updates.
this has not fixed the problem. If only it were that simple…

have you tried:
re install the build 81 full install
and then just use the latest .zip update of WD only to get the weatherdisplay.exe file
as a test

I had already tried the build 81 full install…
That allowed me to begin starting Weather Display - but the msvcrt fault remained when the Dallas 1wire reader program started.

I am not clear on what you mean by
“use the latest .zip update of WD only to get the weatherdisplay.exe file as a test”

Do you mean unzip the zip file to a separate folder - then copy only that “weatherdisplay.exe” file to c:\wdisplay ??

Is that it’s the Dallas 1 reader program that causes the Dll error
Or?

I had to admit I wasnt sure.

Re-named the wdisplay folder
Created a new wdisplay folder & did a new download & install of Wdisplay 32 Build 81(Ver 10.37R)
As soon as I started on the 1-Wire settings page…the fault came up. (as soon as the 1wire icon appeared in the system tray)
Looks like it is the Dallas 1wire reader program causing the issue.

After copying both the Dallas & Hobby Boards 1wire reader programs to the desktop - I was able to run them with no fault messages…and monitor the sensors.
I have renamed both the Dallas & Hobby Boards 1wire reader (within my original Wdisplay folder) & now am able torun weather display…though after a short time the Dallas 1wire reader locked up & became unresponsive.

I do not understand why the Dallas 1wire reader will run from the desktop without the MSCCRT error- but not from the wdisplay folder…??

Hmmmm
It must be a conflict with some Dll files where WD is installed
E.g the Dallas 1 wire dll files

I have not added any extra files…its all downloads from the Weather Display site.
Shame it had to happen right now - while we have rain, wind, and even flooding…!!

I suspect the problem will be with the ib*.* dll files
where WD is installed (the 1 wire dll files)
i.e the ones you have in your windows system driver as the ones needed to be used, so you need to delete the ones where WD is installed

I was unable to find any “ib*.* dll files” in the wdisplay directory.
I have attached a screen dump of the directory(folder)
note both 1Wire viewer .exe files are renamed with AAA prefix (to make them easy to find)

I still have the problem, but could not find the files you suggested I delete.

ok, my mistake, those dll files are installed to the windows driver folder
so that is not the problem
it will be some other dll file that is the cause then (not sure which one, you might have to experiment (as I do not have access to XP))

OK…Quarantined all the dll files in a separate folder - then added them 1 by 1 until wdisplay would run.
After that added them in groups.
The culprit is winusb.dll
An observation - when I start wdisplay, I can see dallas 1wire reader in the taskbar, but not hobbyboards 1wire reader.
I have several of the newer boards including the Baro pressure sensor that needed hobby boards 1 wire reader.
That said I seem to be getting a trace from the barometer without hobby boards 1 wire reader running.

Correction - several hours later, barometer trace was flatlined.
Started hobby boards 1 wire reader, then weather display & now have barometer back (dallas 1wire reader is starting automatically)

interesting find that windusb.dll causes a problem (is that for the dallas1wirereader.exe program?)
I am not sure why I even have that file in use
so I think I can remove it from the install

The Dallas 1-Wire Reader program is fine - starts with Weather Display , functions normally.

The Hobby Boards 1-Wire Reader program has the problem.
It does not start automatically with Weather Display - but manually starting it before clicking on the WDisplay icon works.

I am tempted to try the latest zip update…your thougts…??

tick to use the new HB 1 wire program in the com port setup, 1 wire setup
(there are other threads about this)

That was it - somehow in all the changes the box had become un-ticked.
All seems to be working again

Also performed latest Zip Update - no problems there either.
Many thanks.

Just wanted to thank RobertD for his work on this… I am running on XP and even though I had all the security updates installed for XP I would still get the error message at WD startup. I have removed the winusb.dll file from the wdisplay directory, and thus far all is working with version 37S build 8, including my 1-wire stuff. 8)

Thanks Robert! (and Brian too, of course)

the winsub.dll file is not now part of the install files with the full install (so as to avoid problems with the 1 wire )