Add on for increasing the accuracy of NexStorm

Not sure if this is the place.

You have to be already using NexStorm to get in on this. The Gurus have come up with a small add-on box. That will greatly enhance the accuracy of the system. He only has 4 boxes built. And they are already on the USA.

http://forum.astrogenic.com/viewtopic.php?p=8382&sid=e7f7501b96aa9f26e5f77b74d2c41a08#8382

Care to step up :wink:

Mark

Can you give those of us who don’t have a login for that forum an idea of what it is?

they are called TOA kits, I see…
so basicly it will be like what blitzortung does now I would suggest

It is a TOA kit to add into the antenna cable on the Boltek. The box comes with built-in GPS to get the time stamp of the strikes and send the strike data to the Astrogenics servers for plotting on a map. As I understand it, it doesn’t actually use your Boltek Stormtraker, LD250 or LD350 hardware, it just gets the data it needs from the antenna.

Relko has been testing the concept for a couple of years and it’s now being rolled out in limited numbers, due to the work involved in manually building the kits before dispatch.

I can ask. But I’m sure it’s limited to people who use his products.

hey are called TOA kits, I see... so basically it will be like what blitzortung does now I would suggest

This is what somewhat compares to blitzortung http://www.strikestarus.com/

From what I understand of this TOA project. The accuracy is greatly enhanced. Way beyond what strikestarus deliveries.

Mark

Thanks all, that’s very interesting :smiley: I know Boltek has (or had) a gps timing add-on but as I recall it was very expensive.

Oops :oops: I do have a login, just needed to find it :roll:

The add-on unit come with built-in GPS and antenna, far cheaper than the $1500 Boltek want for their kit! 8O

just as an aside, I now have in use my Boltek and aerial and a green blitzortung board that was spare from a user in my country (Ricky) :slight_smile:
works great

Brian, do you mean you have a blitzortung that’s using a Boltek aerial?

yes
(the Boltec LD 350 is powering the Boltec aerial, which is connected to the green Blitzortung board via a pass through connection)

Interesting, I didn’t know that was possible :slight_smile: Do you have a link to any info about that?

Ricky is the brain child behind it
(he is a real whiz at this sort of thing)
he figured out what wires to use by trail and error
the wave form is identical to the standard loop areial
(he had 2 running side by side to compare)
the Boltec antenna is 2 loop (90 degree angle apart) antennas like used by Blitzortung…but smaller…but then it has an amplifier (hence why they run hot)

Well done Ricky!

Since BO is based on timing I might be a bit concerned about the signal delay due to the extra amplifiers in the Boltek affecting the accuracy of the system (1,000 ft per microsecond), but I have no idea how tolerant the system is :dontknow: Regardless, it’s a great idea :smiley:

using the station comparison data, it works just as well for the strike effectiveness

we did have some very close strikes yesterday (i.e 2km) but neither mine nor nearby (25km away ) stations were used to triangulate the strike
it was very strong lightning (blew a power transformer) so the wave form might have been too strong and too long to be used?

I imagine it could have been overloaded but I don’t know how the system validates strikes.