Davis Soil & Moisture WD setup

To setup the Davis Soil and Moisture station in WD is (correct me if I’m wrong):
( I have 2 Soil Temp probes and 2 Moisture sensors)
( Davis VP2 Station)

1. Select Control Panel.
  2. Select Station Type and Settings.
  3. In WD Davis VP2 station settings I check:
    a. I have a Soil temperature
    b set 2nd soil temp as extra temp 3
    c. check box I have Soil Moisture.

Is that everything? What else do I need to do? Or what other things can you do in WD? Thank you…

Is it possible Brian to create a YouTube video for this?

That is what I did. You also have to set the dip switch in the Soil station and then be sure that you set the transciever to the channel you set in the dip switch configuration. Switch the console to Leaf/Soil to the on position, you are going to need to scroll through the listings, or if you are setting up via Weatherlink do it that way. Wait about 5 minutes or so and check with WD.

Questions, please ask me.

Since I don’t have a leaf sensor, Davis says to select soil only.

The rest is what you said earlier. I was just curious what else there is in WD to setup. Graphs, main page to display soil and moisture, ect…

WD will ignore NULL leaf wetness data, so do not worry about that
you should be able to see the soil temp and wetness temp data under view, Davis VP extra sensor info

also you can add a data ticker to the WD main screen and add custom tags to that…to display the soil moisture (and even the new soil moisture % custom tag) and soil temperature custom tag data
there is a youtube video on how to add a custom scroller to the WD main screen

Brian,

Davis VP Extra Sensors are not working correctly for me. See the two attached files.

WD Version 10.37S6

check at the bottom on setup that you have a vp firmware on the setup page.

IF you go to the view panel, in the center section it has a screen to I have it attached. Go to the icon just below it. you should see all the sensors . the davis VP/Vue.See if that works for you. and you did make the changes Davis wants?

DreamShot.png

yes, you are clicking on the wrong icon in the view panel
you need to click on the icon below the one you were clicking on

also I note you have ticked to set the 2nd soil temp as extra temp 3…was that so that you could then plot that extra temp 3, or?

OMG …Sorry. I see it now.

So I don’t need to set soil 2 to extra 3? I did that from what was recommended. If that is not the case do you recommend not setting that to extra temp 3?

I’m looking for ideas & features WD provides when you add Soil, Moisture or Leaf. If I did plot, do I have to set Soil2 to extra temp3? What if I have 4 sensors? ect…

Thank you for responding.

Don’t worry. What you did was fine.

I have 4 pairs of sensors. The program will detect the data that your transmitter sends. Right now you are not getting 3 and 4. but if you add sensors there then all will be displayed. Now if you go and get the leaf wetness (or two) you need to change your console/or /envoy to leaf/soil. but things are fine.

If you want to take the data from extra temp 2 and/or extra temp 3 you have the data to process however you wish. I use mine for my data base on stuff like that.

Sounds good.

Thanks for your help Brian and aadvark…

P.S. I did order a Leaf Sensor…

I use mine in winter to let me know if there is frost on the Jeep Windshield. I started doing that when I was teaching, so I would be sure to fire up the remote engine starter.
It may be terrible cold where you live, but in Des Moines, we get by, sort of .
Ever notice that when 1/2 inch of snow hits anywhere on the East Coast, CNN is out and about. When it snows in Mn and Iowa, we just deal with it.

Anyway, good luck with the sensors , happy whatever you are doing. OH… one thing… be sure that with each soil moisture sensor you have a corresponding temperature sensor or the results are a tad screwy.
Scaled Instruments http://www.scaledinstruments.com/ has good prices on parts and sensors. They guy is in Florida and ships right away. If you are in need of batteries, cr123A Battery Junction is a good place to order from.

OH good, the wife is no longer listening to CNN . I can get the control.