Woke up to smell of smoke

yup, got up about 4 am, then 7 am and things were fine. 10:30, hmmm smokey smell, faint haze. Then the Daughter call and said it smells like a fire place and is smokey outside. So I give a look and found on only one media site:
SMOKE TO IMPACT AIR QUALITY AND VISIBILITY THIS MORNING…

A THICK SMOKE PLUME FROM A WILD FIRE IN NORTHERN MINNESOTA HAS
MADE ITS WAY INTO NORTHERN IOWA THIS MORNING. THE SMOKE IS
EXPECTED TO CONTINUE TO ADVANCE SOUTH DURING THE REMAINDER OF THE
MORNING AND REDUCE VISIBILITY TO 1 TO 2 MILES AT TIMES THROUGH AT
LEAST 11 AM. THIS SMOKE IS LIKELY TO CAUSE A SIGNIFICANT DECLINE
IN AIR QUALITY AND MAY RESULT IN DIFFICULT BREATHING. THOSE WITH
ASTHMA OR OTHER RESPIRATORY PROBLEMS NEED TO TAKE THE NECESSARY
PRECAUTIONS TO INSURE THEIR SAFETY THIS MORNING.

e Minnesota Pollution Control Agency has issued an air pollution health advisory for northeastern Minnesota until 10 p.m. Saturday as smoke moved in from southwestern Ontario. That smoke combined with a smoky plume from a fire in north-central Minnesota prompted the agency to issue an air pollution health alert for eastern, southern and southeastern Minnesota until 10 p.m. Saturday.

In northeastern Minnesota, the affected area includes the interior Arrowhead region and the North Shore, including Duluth, Ely, Grand Marais, Hibbing, International Falls and Eveleth.

Otherwise it was going to be a nice day outside.

For a map and loop of today’s Iowa Air Quality, go AirNow’s Iowa Page. I saw your problem on the Nebraska map this morning, but didn’t investigate further. Look at the ‘Current AQI’ and ‘AQI Loop’ tabs. The ‘Forecast AQI’ is obviously very inaccurate.

It is quite a fire up there http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/06/americas/canada-wildfire-what-they-took/index.html

we are due for some rain that might knock it down.

Wildfire smoke map. If that is current, the smoke could extend all the way down the Gulf.

https://airnow.gov/index.cfm?action=topics.smoke_wildfires

Smelled it here in Southern WI last night (5-6-2016) when I got off work at 11:00 PM.

I remember in c.1949/50, I was going home from college in Edinburgh, Scotland, one afternoon when the sun looked very distinctly blue. That night, the near-full moon was distinctly blue. The following morning’s papers explained the phenomenon was due to smoke from massive wildfires in Canada. In retrospect, I think that the smoke must have got into the jet stream.

My sympathy to those who have lost everything in Alberta and the firefighters who have fought, up to now, a losing battle. I pray for heavy rain in the Province.