Meteotemplate - new free website template

Aha I see, you meant Steel Series. Yes I guess it would make things easier - both for users and the developer (i see the same mistakes over and over again, for example even though it says that you have to enter your station latitude and longitude as a decimal number, very often people asked me about why their page is not working and in the config they had something like "28

biggest mistake with steel series/gauges too is setting the location to the customclientraw.txt file
re the …/ etc

Hi Jachym

dare I attempt updating to version 6 in my case or should I leave as is.

Harold

Phil, take a look at my site to see how the menu is setup (I have added some of the newer plugins) and I can send you my menu.php and you can see how I did it, this may help.
Paul thanks for the offer but with the new update I will see how I get on with that

Jachym
WOW looks you’ve had some sleepless nights. I have already downloaded the update but will leave it till Monday morning to start the update ( my Mrs wants some computer time tomorrow 8O) So I’ll do when she’s at work!!

Phil

As far as I remember, none of the changes I made should be affected by this update. Just make sure you make a backup copy and if something goes wrong, let me know. Do the update, then use the setup.php to create a new config and then have a look at your homepage. If there are any problems, delete the new config, upload the original one and send me an email or post here and I will do the update for you myself.

Hi Jachym
ok will have a go during this week but as a first step I uploaded a copy of the working version to template1 and tested, so will let you know how things go

Harold

Is Marc no longer developing and supporting it?

he is busy with his day job I suspect
it would be a nice addition to it, to be able to configure it via a graphical UI
I was thinking of doing it myself
the one problem is if the author makes changes that then breaks that

Hi Jachym
thought I would try my local server first with the update to 6 got the setup screen ok and went through it I left the GA code as 0 as I do not have one when I clicked save it returned with GA code not valid, this will do the same thing when I get round to the main site.
is there a default code that will work for no code available

Harold

I put this in UA-xxxxxxxxx and it seamed to work as the original config was set to false do not know why it was not picked up

Hi Jachym
well the local server update went easier than I thought in the end, just the block configs to put in place so a good leaning curve before trying the main site update in the week.

thanks for all the work you put in on this.

Harold

Hi Harold,
I am aware of the GA issue, the current download file has that already fixed.

I will post the updated setup.php in the bug fixes section ASAP.

Or just include some dummy value, the only condition is that it begins with “UA-”

so something like “UA-123456” will do

OK, thanks for all your feedback, I have (hopefully) corrected all the minor problems encountered so far.

I have updated both the update package and the complete template file.

I have also included the modified scripts in the Bug Fixes section (bottom of the Downloads page), so that those of you who have already downloaded it do not have to download the whole thing again.

Replace the files if the problems are relevant to you:

• install/setup.php - fix for GA - no longer required, the GA code is now optional
  • css/main.php - fix for footer - now resizes correctly
  • header.php - now uses METAR instead of TAF, which is not available for all METAR stations

Jachym
I have now updated to the new version 6. All seems to have gne well, just updated the header file which is now showing a sensible picture. Thaks for all the work.
My next task is to move the whole thing to the root of my website to replace the saratoga templates (or at least swap them over)
Phil

Hi Phil, thats not necessary, it would be much easier to do the following:

1. rename your Saratoga index to something different (lets say indexOld)

2. create an HTML file with the following code, call it index.html and upload it to your server root:

<html>
	<head>
	<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0; url=meteotemplate/index.php" />
	<title>Meteotemplate</title>
	<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
	<meta name="description" content="Meteotemplate - free website template for weather enthusiasts." />
	<meta name="keywords" content="meteotemplate, weather, climate, station, template, website" />
	<meta name="robots" content="index,follow" />
	<link rel="icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon">
	</head>
</html>

This way, it will automatically redirect you from the main domain to the meteotemplate site, but you will not have to change any paths and also be able to return to Saratoga anytime just by renaming that file.

Hi Jachym
Well copied every thing as per the blog except the block config txt files, and the setup.php ran the SQL tested ok, but I got error 500 after I clicked save, I checked the config file and it had an updated time stamp, have uploaded the original as configold.php.
when I click http://www.hc-iom.co.uk/template/index.php I get an errors page relating to the headerMetar.php you still have access if you need it.

thanks for any help you can give

Harold

OK looks like a problem with the METAR, did you try the updated header.php in the bug fixes section? And if so, try using a different metar code, some other city, just to test and see if it helps.

Hi Jachym
I downloaded a fresh update this morning as the download links only showed text on screen no option to save but yes latest header.php on, I just tried Manchester (EGCC) instead in the config file but that gave the same error as Ronaldsway (EGNS) did, have changed back to EGNS.

Harold

I just had to turn off the errors in config.php manually. I guess I will have to add this as a bug fix because for those who show this it will cause problems.

Everything should be working now. But the problem is that now if you edit your setup.php, you will need to add this:

error_reporting(0);

into your newly created config.php

Hi
ok thanks for that, have made a copy for future ref

Thanks
Harold

No longer necessary - just download the createConfig.php update from Meteotemplate.com → Downloads → Bug fixes