1-Wire ADS Anemometer Replacement Options

My 1-wire ADS Anemometer looks to be faulty with about half of the directions not registering. Reed switches a possible cause according to Eric from Hobby Boards. With Eric winding up the business i’m wondering what are my options now if i want to replace the unit rather then repair? It’s only for direction i use the ADS as i use an Inspeed Vortex for speed. I know Inspeed do a Wind Vane but 130 bucks + PP is a bit out of my budget.

Would something like this adapted in some way work as a replacement?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Replacement-Direction-Sensor-Weather-Statoions/dp/B00FQGV8RM/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1459973661&sr=8-5&keywords=maplin+weather+station

maybe its just that the voltages are a bit out of range of what is expected?
(have you checked on the voltage output for each of the 16 directions?)

Yes Brian i have tested the voltages and the following degrees are in range, 0, 45, 90,135, 158, 225, 315, 338. Most notably from testing i found that when pointed West 270 i get a Voltage of 9.9 which is quiet a bit away from the 0.89-0.95 expected. I have been in contact with Eric from Hobby Boards and he thinks it could be reed switch problems. Looking back now to the time i got the unit it never showed about half the directions so probably was faulty when i got it.

is the ones that do not work, their voltage output, are those voltages all the same …9.9?

can you post a picture of what the wind vane/anenometer looks like?

Yes it seems to be the case Brian, I see the correct voltages for the directions i posted previously and 9.9v for the remainder. I enclose a pic which is the same as the ADS unit i have.

that looks like a WH1081 type station wind vane/anenometer
you could getting one of those (i.e as a spare part)

Yes seems to be, i presume the inner workings of those units are all the same, They certainly look identical to the ADS i have.

yes, I would presume so

Will take a punt on it anyway and hope it works out. Cheers Brian

Just an update on this, it would seems that the Fine Offset wind vane works differently to the ADS 1-wire version even though they look identical. Only option now seems to be to go down the repair route.

is the problem then maybe with the ads 1 wire board itself?

Eric from Hobby Boards thinks it could be a faulty reed switch on the wind vanes circuit board. So i will probably investigate this further as it seems there are no replacement units out there.

are you talking about a circuit board that is not part of the actual WH1081 wind vane?
(but is part of the Hobbyboards circuit?)

The ADS is a modified FO/WH1081 sensor with Dallas DS2423 and DS2438 1-Wire chips.How Eric did this i don’t know. Will have to take down the unit from the roof. Also the WH1081 uses resistance to measure directions rather than voltages as the ADS does.

Mick

Ah,ok, good oh

Also the WH1081 uses resistance to measure directions
yeah, that makes sense