How to transmit data from remote weather station

Hi Everybody,

I’m not sure this is the right part of the larger forum to post this question, but it was asked me by a potential WXSIM user, so here goes …

How might one link a remote station (like a Vantage Pro II, for example) to a distant computer (where Weather Display or the like might be installed)? This user may want to use multiple stations, but just one computer. I’m sure this has been done, but I didn’t know what to tell him.

Thanks in advance!

Tom

If a Davis ip data logger
And a fixed port
Then WD can connect over an internet connection
More than 1 version of WD. can run on the same pc
In a second install location create a 2wd.txt file

Thanks for the reply. Could you clarify some, though? This is something I have virtually no experience with. What I want to know is how perhaps three remote weather stations (several miles away) can report their data to one computer. Can the data loggers access the internet somehow? Where would they send the data? To the web? Or is there some protocol for sending it directly to a computer. How does WD “find” the data from remote sites? The closest thing to this situation I’ve ever dealt with is a radio link from a Davis station to a Davis logger which is physically connected to the computer.

Thanks!

Tom

yes, the IP data loggers would need access to the internet
i.e plugged into a router, which has say mobile access
you could disable the weather link updates too
you would then set a fixed IP address on that router and port forward (i.e make a port open)

and then WD would be set to use that IP address and the port used with the port forwarding
I have a youtube video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf8I2kSQ5i0&feature=youtu.be

Thanks, Brian! :slight_smile: