Cannot Get WD to Connect or Receive Data

OK. I made sure the data/logfile settings checkboxes are UNticked. Also, updated to build 8.

Just emailed you the settings file.

Hope this is enough for you to help me. Woop! Forgot to zip the file. It is 42016lg.txt

you have emailed me the WD april logfile
there is a FAQ on how to email me the settings files

working OK here with your settings and my davis station
one thing I note is that you have set to 24 hour graphing interval
so it might take an hour or so of running to really notice the new data on the graph

Thanks for your help, Brian. The graphs are beginning to show now.

One other question - how do I change the graph update interval? The graph lines look real jagged.

control panel
graph setup
graph interval

Thanks, Brian! Everything worked fine until this morning around 7. Weather Display stopped working, since I noticed the temperature and all data did not update. Then the computer gave me the big Blue Screen of Death. This was on a second computer that I decided to use as a WD only computer. So I am now copying all the Weather Display directory to a flash drive, plus getting a copy of *.reg and will install on my original WD computer. Will post when I get this all done, and try WD. Hopefully these “problems” will end someday!

that sounds like a driver problem
try updating to the latest silicon labs davis usb driver

also make sure windows is not trying to power down the usb in the energy saving settings

Guess I’m stupid. I searched for the Silicon Labs Davis USB driver, but wasn’t sure which was the correct one. None said specifically for Windows 7 and how to obtain it and install it. Is there a way to find on my computer where I can select an “Update Driver?”

No, windows is not trying to power down the USB in the energy saving settings.

google should find it
if I put into google
Silicon Labs USB Davis driver

I get to
https://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/Pages/USBtoUARTBridgeVCPDrivers.aspx

and there is a link to Windows 7 or later driver

My computer crashed again this morning with a BSOD. So I moved WD to my newest computer, where I had it originally before this fiasco occurred. Everything seems ok now, as I followed Snowman’s post of May 2005 for moving WD to a different computer - it worked great! HOPEFULLY, all these problems are solved. But after battling problems for the past 10 days, I’m just partly optimistic.
Will post again in a day, and hopefully not sooner, how WD, the USB data logger, and my computer are working.

For 24 hours plus, Weather Display, new USB Data Logger, PWS on Wunderground, and my best computer have worked fine. Thanks to all who have helped me, especially Windy and Niko. Sure glad I had the WD software developer and another expert to help and advise!!

Guess this problem has been solved. Over 2 days running and all ok. One further question. Prior to the crash and problems, when I started WD, there was a WD icon in the right most part of the taskbar (notification area?). But there was no “program” icon on the middle or left part of the taskbar. Now I have both - I do want to keep the WD icon to the right, but is there a way not to show the other “program” icon??

setup
start minimised
set to no
setup, start hidden in system tray, set to yes

I checked and Start Minimized is N0, and Start Hidden in System Tray is YES. ??? See image of part of my Taskbar.

make sure that you either click on hide menu item or click on the icon in the system try
to hide the program
do not click on the windows minimise

I am not able to duplicate this problem with build 8

What I did not want was the “Daughns Weather” as shown in the attached pix. Didn’t get that one in my old WD. I did want the “Thunder Cloud with Lightning Strike” icon, which I always had.

Extra Program.JPG

which version/build of WD?
you should have an icon (thunder cloud) in the system tray
(make sure windows is not set to hide icons)

I have 10.37S, build 8. Yes, I have the thunder cloud icon in the system tray, which I want. What I do not want is the icon in the middle of the taskbar such as shown in my previous post. Before my computer’s fatal system crash, that icon was not there - I had just the thunder cloud icon in the system tray, which is what I wanted now. Not sure that is possible??

Not sure that is possible??
it is possible

it works that way here
by having set to shown hidden in system tray
and not set to start minimised

Just wanted to mention something that happened yesterday. The Davis console apparently locked up and was not receiving any data from the VP2+. Disconnected and reconnected power and batteries to solve the problem. This had never happened before. Could this be just a random event?

The problem I started this thread is now solved. Again, I want to thank Windy and Niko for their invaluable help!