Linux functionality

Hi all. Longtime WD user here, since 2007. Up until recently, I was running WD on my WinXP machine. That machine started to show signs of dying, so I’ve recently ported my WD and all my other apps onto a new Win10 box. Got most stuff up and running but…

Most of my other boxes at home are running some form of Linux (well, not my wife’s, who refuses to let go of Windoze (and in fairness, needs certain Windows-only apps for her work), or my kids who are both Mac addicts) and I’m increasingly getting frustrated with Windows 10. Especially UAC. Maybe I just need to be patient and continue to learn (like I have with Linux over time), but I can’t help but think maybe I should make my WD machine a Linux box too. In addition to WD, I would be running a webserver (running WAMP on the Win10 box, but would prefer a LAMP setup just for greater familiarity with setup), a camera server (running BlueIris, but considering trying Zoneminder), an RSync server for backups (using DeltaCopy on Windows, but could use a plain old Rsync server on a penguin box), BTSync for remote backups and various other systems related apps.

With respect to WD on linux, I’m wondering about functionality vs the Windows version. The features I really only need are the following: generation of files and graphs that work with the Saratoga web templates (clientraw, graphs, history data, etc), the extratags generation (used for text overlays on my webcam images), use of extra sensors for Dallas one-wire temperature sensors (which I use to monitor my coldroom temperatures) and WeatherUnderground rapidfire. I believe those are the main features I use, and I’d like to know if all of these would work with Linux version. I read through the WD linux pages, and in particular the Dallas One-wire sensors look like they may be an issue (the pages indicate linux version won’t work for Dallas one-wire stations, though that’s not what I have, only extra sensors). I’d probably run it on a server version of linux, since this stuff all runs on a headless box in my basement anyway. BTW, my weather station is a Davis VP2, connected through a serial connection.

Any advice from others, particularly others that may have made the switch from Windoze versions over to Linux, would be appreciated.

the linux version does create the files for Saratoga
there is ability to use OWW for 1 wire

Thanks again for the speedy response Brian! What about the Rapidfire WU. Will that work too?

I think that is available too