Insulated solar radiation screen

Crikey lol

Hi Mick, got me that solar switch today but me thinks its broken, I have tested it and the relay works
its activating when it reaches the set light setting but, when the relay clicks over, there is no power output
i have had my multimeter on it and i have tried all three in every combination, i get no power at all
input and light snesor is fine, 2 leds light up and then only one when theres light.

Tested it when activated an in normal stated, still nowt, please let me know how ya get on with your one
and i will have to get another if yours is ok…

Hi Mick, got ya parcel today, thank you ever so much, i have been playing and calibrated my main temp to your probe. Mine is in the shield, the probe is outside it, but both in the shade behind the summer house. It’s a poor day for testing but initial tests seem to indicate that the temp in the shield is a lot more responsive, compared to the stations around me, they seem to be playing catch up all the time, need a sunny day now for a decent test, thanks again. Mick

Just got a reply back from the Davis station thats a couple of miles away and always on par with RAF Lakenheath Metar

His is a Davis Vantage Vue sited about 4 meters high with a normally aspirated shield and in 100% direct sunlight

Sounds like the height is playing a big factor for him to be on par with the Metar, i wonder how high the metar temp sensor is
i would have thought they would be Met O specs at around a few feet from the ground?

I have noticed that my temp when in the shield is always faster than the other stations, its like waiting for them to catch up.
It is very responsive when in there, do you find that with yours Mick? i think thats why my graph is like the rocky mountains
when its partly cloudy…

Still testing, need a good complete day of sun now…

Hi Simon

I don’t use this type of instrument any more,
I switched over to a non-tipping rain gauge which is set at 0.001mm As a rain duration sensor

I have noticed as soon as it rains I get the humidity sensor responding straightaway and the temperature sensor
I’ve never had my Sensors working so well using this approach to the Solar radiation screen

My sensor mounted on a post the height is 1.4 Metres

have a look at http://www.rmets.org/sites/default/files/pdf/guidelines/aws-guide.pdf

I suspect most users of an all-in-one station, like the Vue or Acurite, will mount it higher than is optimum for the temp/hum so they can get useful wind data :frowning:

Cheers Mick, interesting read, I think, where I have been worrying about the temp being higher than the other stations is because they are playing catch up, I cannot see what else I can do to improve on my screen, the unit has way above optimal airflow and the insulation in the wall couldn’t be any better. It’s good that you too are seeing a more responsiveness in you sensors, it’s amazing how responsive they are :slight_smile:

Yeah Nikon, I did realise that, i take it matey has compromised too what with only going up to 5m opposed to the 10m, still, goes to show how good the vue Sheild is seen as he’s always on par with Lakenheath 8O

Looking forward to a full clear day for a decent test, still gonna make the SS though, just need more wood now lol

Hey Niko, got a reply back from Kari at WU, said that station has now been removed and the report button escalated to the web peeps

Thanks Bashy! :smiley:

No probs :slight_smile:

Hi

Sorry got my wires crossed. lol

I was thinking about the rd unit

The 12V-LDR-Photoresistor-Module-Light-Control-Switch-Relay-Light-Detection-Sensor you have works by switching the relay

Use the relay as a switch to break the fan 12v supply

The controller I am using is a
DC-12V-Smart-Fan-Speed-Controller-Automatic-Temperature-Sensor-Control

Which works by adjusting the power against what the temperature
Sensor picks up. see image

5.2c1.jpg

Hi Mick, i thought that was how it should work, i think i have a faulty unit, there is no throughput
when its activated or not :roll:

Ah yeah, forgot yours was different #-o I think i will have to get another, it prob didnt like the journey
from China :lol:

hi everybody

I’ve completed a new webpage with details on how I made the aspirated solar radiation screen
http://www.weather-above.com/solarrdscreen2.html

Thats really good Mick, well done :slight_smile: Add it to the 1st post too if you aint already :slight_smile:

I’ve completed a new webpage with details on how I made the aspirated solar radiation screen
http://www.weather-above.com/solarrdscreen2.html

Looking good Mick… well done!

I have just move my shield into the middle of the garden for now (full sun) as a trial…
I had to turn it so that the sensor input was away from the sun as that was upping it a bit
With one fan on there was no difference, but as soon as i connected the second fan back up
the temp dropped 1

Stevenson screen on hold at present, I have now raised the sensor height to just over 6ft and with my sensor calibrated to that
calibrated sensor you sent me Mick (all are actually now :slight_smile: ) i am now spot on inline with the Vantage Vue station and RAF Lakenheath

I have it attatched to a washing line pole, so i need to watch the radiant heat from it, i may have to paint it white yet,

I have just added a rain bucket debris screen to the

Nice job fellows!