WD updates and Windows 10

I don’t know if it applies but I saw this note from another software author a couple of days ago “This release has been necessitated in order to update the Code Signing Certificate to SHA-2, as is now required by Microsoft because SHA-1 certificates are considered insecure.”

Do you want me to turn back on the Smartscreen?

I was aware of the SHa1 needing to become SHa2
and the date today is that change over from memory
I thought the code signing I had, which I just renewed (there is an annual cost)
was Sha2…but it comes up saying its still sha2?

Brian, just installed 320 3/16 @ 0204, the most current at this time. Here’s a list of items that needed confirmation (sample window attached)…

wurapidfire.exe
cronawekas.exe
cronwdwu.exe
croncloud.exe
cronmetardownload.exe

There used to be at least 2 others but this old brain can’t remember their names right now. Whatever they are they weren’t asked for on this install.

Thanks.

sig.jpg

I have managed to get it signed as SHA256 now…
try another .zip download…

Downloading now. Will let you know.

Meanwhile in the previous version (320 3/16 @ 0204), after a short run ftpupd.exe would stop functioning. At the same time Save and Exit would also not work. Had to use task master to quit the program. Reverted to the version before that and all seems well.

IT would be great if this was solved, I run Windows 7 after every update I wait until i have accepted all the tick prompts but the one that always gets me and steals the program when triggered is the warningmail, I check the PC before I go to work and 5 minutes after I left, a frost alert was triggered and my web site didn’t get refreshed until I ticked the accept box 8 hours later.

I have tried opening the warningmail.exe and ticking it as part of my new upgrade process but it still asked for confirmation when triggered.

are you able to test the latest update of the files Ian to check?

Brian, the same 5 as before are still asking for confirmation…

wurapidfire.exe
cronawekas.exe
cronwdwu.exe
croncloud.exe
cronmetardownload.exe

In addition, a new one has been added to the list…

weatherbug.exe

That one has never shown up here before. Also, the warning window has changed slightly as shown attached.

Running 320 3/16 @ 0752.

Thanks

sig2.jpg

well, I have updated the signing of those (and included weatherbug.exe)
and they are now signed with sh2 (sha256)
you can see that if you have right mouse click on the file …and go to the digital signature tab…

I dont have these reported problems here myself (windows 10)

Brian,

Downloaded Version320 at 12:30PM CST.

These exe’s below asked for approval:

cronwdwu.exe
croncloud.exe
wdwarningemail.exe
wurapidfire.exe
cronawekas.exe
cronwindfinder.exe
cronwow.exe
cronwetter.exe
weatherbug.exe
wdxmlwarning.exe
–There was one more and I wrote it down at work and forgot to add it.

I’ve also attached the certificate.

I thought it was Jan 1st but it’s really not easy to figure out :roll: I only mentioned it because the note was from another one man shop for whom this stuff is surely a pain :frowning:

all those files listed are now code signed with SHA2 in the updates you guys have downloaded
there is nothing more I can do

Brian,

Sounds good. Not a big deal for me to ok to run the program and move on. Thanks for your assistance.

one thing though
more often than not its just weatherdisplay.exe that is updated
i.e just use from the .zip update the files that have been updated only
to reduce having to OK the cron files that you use

Brian, would it be possible to include just the updated files in the .zip?

Thanks.

I have the .zip update with those files for those on XP who update via the .zip update

but hopefully most have that are going to so yes I could change to just include in the .zip update files that have updated

To me that would be a big help, Brian. Thanks a lot.

Brian, still getting the confirmation boxes for the same 6 files I listed earlier. No biggie, but think I might have an explanation.

Late last spring you may remember an issue where Apple users (possibly others as well) were having serious problems with SMTP servers going offline and staying that way. This messed up all my email accounts at my host, but not ones like Gmail. I was working with level 3 tech support at Apple on an almost daily basis and they were in direct contact with the software engineers. No resolution came from that. Guess they finally added a fix because one day I started getting a message about an ‘untrusted issuer’. See attached.

Turns out my host was using the same issuer you have with your certificates. Unsure if this was from a list that was compiled by Apple or just a general list they got from ‘somewhere’. The point is yours and the one at my host are from the same company - COMODO. The Apple message provided an ‘always trust…’ checkbox which did exactly what it said. I never got another message about an ‘untrusted issuer’, and all my SMTP servers were back online the minute I checked that box. Windoze apparently doesn’t look at it the same way. Unchecking their box does not mean ‘always remember’.

Just a possible explanation for what might be causing this. Definitely NOT pointing fingers at you!

FWIW…