2016 Beta versions ready to test!

Thanks for the feedback! I’m very glad to hear it’s running well for almost everybody, but of course I want to fix everything I can! So …

As for the failure to close (with the box checked), I just tried this with both the analysis run and the forecast run, and it’s closing as desired for me. Also, the box seems to stay checked. Can you give me any more details?

As for the error 13 and 55 using the VWS files, I might have to try to reproduce that here. I would need those files that WXSIMATE made (i.e. 32016vws.txt) and just a few gfsdat files to try that.

The error 70 sounds like either multiple copies of the program open, OR another program (wret? autolearn?) trying to access the log files at the same time. The new feature of going back to older years makes the analysis take longer, and it’s possible it may still be going wehn autolearn fires up to do its own analysis. Make sure the runs are far apart.

Let me know what you find! :slight_smile:

Tom

Tom -

I just sent (hopefully-correct) the data in an e-mail due to the gfsdat files.

Thank you,
Best regards
tbrasel

Tom,

the box to close the WXSIMLite is checked, and I have not noticed it would uncheck itself. So this is really strange to me, as WXSIM and WXSIMate close without problem.
I have made and scheduled a windows batch file to close WXSIMLite…

Another thing, I am getting this msg:

Thank you for your hard work and great support.

Marian

2016-03-13_173336.png

Hi Marian,

Some questions:

Are you sure this is the very latest version of the programs (using www.wxsim.com/2016beta6.exe)?

Can you send wxlini.txt?

I’m still wondering why WXSIM-Lite wouldn’t close, as it’s a pretty simple instruction within the program and it works here. That, combined with the message showing fdata.txt being from 2014, makes me think the WXSIM-Lite run did not finish. Does your script to close the program give WXSIM-Lite enough to time to finish everything?

Thanks,

Tom

Hi Tom,

maybe you remember my WXSIMLite problem couple of months ago, when it did not start at all. I think it was wxlini.txt which was 0 bytes. So you sent me a new one just to get me going.
Maybe, that could be the problem.
Yes, I give WXSIMLite 15 minutes before I terminate it using a simple windows command: taskkill /IM wxsimlite.exe. I also do some coding, so I know how simple it is to close the program,
and that makes me wonder more about WXSIMLite not closing it self.

Anyway, please find attached my wxlini.txt

Thank you for your time and fast response.

Marian

wxlini.txt (291 Bytes)

Hi Tom,

I am getting the same thing after wxsim run. See attached

160316.png

Did you try this ? For me it worked…

Hi Ed,

I removed all gfs*.* and still get the popup screen. It was worth a try.

The popup that I get is different than yours in that it says that my fdata.txt is more than 24 hrs old. It is a new file but I cannot read the data so I don’t understand it.

Thanks

Tom R

Same problem persists here… Tom, please, can you have a look?

Thank you.

Marian

Anyway with other settings in WXsimate my problem was over, give it a try. See topic
http://discourse.weather-watch.com/t/61182

OK, trying to catch up here! :slight_smile:

Marian … I checked your wxlini.txt file. It seems fine and does have the Close box checked. It’s very strange that this would not activate for you. Can you confirm that WXSIM-Lite is in fact finishing its jobs (analysis and forecast runs)? I’m wondering if it’s getting stuck. Is everything else about it working OK?

Tom … Are you still seeing the old fdata.txt error? Is this the beta6 version? I thought I’d made a change to prevent a forecast from being made on a wrong day liek that. The problem you’re seeing suggests that the last forecast was made at the end of an analysis run. That was always supposed to be replaced by one from a WXSIM-Lite forecast run (so make sure one of those is scheduled before your WXSIM run), but I had made a further change which should keep such a forecast (made as part of an analysis run) even get saved. I need to know if I was successful in that, but also we need to make sure your runs are scheduled and happening as scheduled.

By the way, that solution about removing all the gfsdat files … that concerns me, because those files are needed to use WXSIM-Lite properly, and if you delete them, they can’t be replaced (you’d have to wait to build up a couple months’ more files). There WAS, it seems, a bad file or two back around March 6 (maybe 18Z)? You could delete that one, if you can look at it and confirm it’s too short (anything less than 180 hours).

Let me know how all these things are going!

Tom

Tom,

I am also getting this, and also old data msg. Is WXSIMLite supposed to run after WXSIM or before?

Thank you.

Marian

Tom,

• Are you still seeing the old fdata.txt error? YES, on every run.
  • it is confirmed Beta 6
    [li]The WXSIM-Lite forecast run was scheduled to be run before the WXSIM run but I have now moved the WXSIM run to be run a few more minutes later. In either case I still get the error.
    Wxsimmate was scheduled to run 8 min past the hour. Unchanged.
    Wxsimlite was scheduled to run 11 min past the hour. Now 13 past.
    Wxsim was scheduled to run 13 past the hour. Now 15 past. [/li]
  • I did not delete any gfsdat files located in the wxsimlitedata directory. I “moved” instead of deleted the GFS*.* files from the WXSIM directory to temp location. (9 files, txt and lst). I have since moved them back to their original location.[/li][li]I should be at the top of the list of suspect(s), i.e. operator error.

fdataagain.png

Tom (KJ4QDZ),

I helped a friend debug a similar problem to yours earlier this week. His problem was caused by the failure of WxSim-Lite to run a clean forecast and analysis resulting in the same error you’re seeing when running WxSim.

Are getting you a complete “clean” WxSim-Lite run? If you’re not sure, can you go into WxSim-Lite, click Schedule on the menu tab, click the Run Immediately checkboxes for both Forecast and Analysis, then click Enable Scheduler. Let this run to completion and it will either finish cleanly or stop on an error. If it stops on an error, I might have some suggestions for you.

Steve

Steve,

I did as you suggested and got a clean run. I then ran Wxsim and this time got a clean run, no error. So, I wonder if I simply didn’t get a clean run before that and the errors were a result?

Tom,

From my experience, when WxSim-Lite has errors during it’s run, chances are good WxSim may give you errors as well.

Glad to see it’s working for you now.

Steve

Just noting that NOAA had problems with the GFS run today (Sunday). 12Z was at least two hours late (and that was just as of the notice they sent - they said it would be even later). It looks like 18Z’s up, so I guess 12Z eventually got done. I would not be surprised if people saw some problems getting the data. Hopefully they’ve got it all fixed!

Tom

Since Beta6, I get WXSIMLite error 62: Input Past End of File, error messages. The I downgraded and installed Beta5 (with this Beta I

Just a quick note, so far I have not experienced any problems with this issue. It appears I just didn’t have Wxsim-Lite setup to run properly and then Wxsim came up with the error. I have a better understanding now. Thanks Steve for your support. And to Tom too!!

Thanks for the report, tornadochaser. Do you know if your beta6 settings are identical to the beta5 ones? Can you provide any more details, like screenshots, including background?

Thanks again! :slight_smile:

Tom