WD hangs during startup

re the last question, I think you are refering to the windows 10 style
if you set WD to start minimised that will show
(I could make option for it to show if you set to start otherwise…but you then loose the newly added hide in system tray button)

Worked fine again this morning! Fingers crossed. . .

Re border: all my Windows 10 windows have the same blue title bar, and so did WD up to now. WD build 319 is the exception. (I’m not at all bothered by it, though!)

Well, it didn’t hang this morning but it ignored all the WMR200 history data again.

How do you use the wmr200history.txt file?

re the border
I have added an option to have that to the setup , advanced/misc setup
(restart WD)

re your last test:
really need allot more detail
just saying it did not work really actually tells me very little

Re border: thanks, I’ll check that out.

Re WMR200 history: sorry. WD read all the history data, restarted twice (I think), but did not update the graphs or the “last 24 hours” info for WDL. As I said, it didn’t hang and the data gatherer took over OK.

The last wmr200history.txt file was saved on 3 March.

did the D2 show in the right hand side, and the time for that data, did that show at the bottom right…and did the time in the data match the time WD was looking for…

Yes. “Looking for data from” time was correct, and I watched the data scroll down on the right to the current time in History Data, and decode it. . . then nothing.

and so there was decoded data showing on the left hand side…with the time/date in the data being later than the time looking for data?

Not as much as usual. . . in fact probably only a little last-minute history is being decoded, while it’s checking for no more data.

Still no wmr200history.txt file since 3 March.

Watched more carefully this morning:

Computer turned off between 2301 and 0820.

History data read from 2301 to 0618, not decoded, but history data program said finished. No auto restart. Started live data gatherer and then hung.

At restart, read history data from 0618 to 0820, decoded it, restarted automatically and graphed that period OK. Live data read OK from then on.

Still no wmrhistory.txt file since 3 March.

what was the time/date that it said looking for data from (and how did that compare to the time/date in the data arriving)
also the file is called wmr200history.txt

one thing that I could do different that would be better is to make it a separate program that gets all the missed data (and restarts if needed) into a file that WD can then read in once all the history data has finished

I have created a separate data reader .exe
try this build 320 update:
http://www.weather-display.com/downloadfiles/weatherdisplaytest.zip

(works here in testing OK)

Reply to #25: Time/date the same in looking for data and data arriving. Still no wmr200history.txt file saved since 3 March, the day before I installed Build 319.

You will probably not be happy to learn that everything worked fine (with 3 auto restarts) this morning, apart from missing windspeed and direction data for one 3-hour period and (as reported elsewhere) overnight history rain not all included in MTD and YTD totals: I had 5.3 mm overnight but MTD and YTD only increased by 2.3 mm. Daily total was correct.

Re your suggested solution: I had presumed that wmr200history.txt was supposed to do that, but perhaps it was only designed to record history data between auto restarts, not all the accumulated history data?

Just as a matter of interest, why does WD process the history data in seemingly random chunks? This morning it read and decoded data from 2326-2355, restarted, read 2356-0246, restarted, read 0247-0922 and restarted once more before the live data gatherer took over.

Reply to #26: I’ll try that tonight, thanks.

I have done lots of testing of build 320 test (including 9 hours of overnight data) and its working great

Well, Build 320 test read all the history data (in two chunks) and it didn’t hang. Otherwise not impressed: history wind data seems to be shown as hourly averages. (Note: the mainly zero windspeed between 1800 and 0230 is probably correct, but the graph from 0230 to 0915 - startup - is not believable.)

a few things to note
the history data is only 1 minute average data
and so that is why its more chunky looking (e.g for windspeed data) compared to live data
as you could see from my tests, I had evenly spaced hour lines
so not sure why you did not
how many extra temp/hum sensors do you have?

surely its a good thing it did not hang and you did not loose data
but you still give it a thumbs down and say you are not impressed?

Quite prepared for it to be chunkier than live data, which I plot as 5-minute averages, but it’s never been as chunky as this before when history data was plotted! Also quite prepared to see what happens over the next few days, too. This was just my first impression. . .

Only one extra temp/hum sensor (#1) on Oregon’s channel 2.

the extra data that comes in the data stream by having an extra temp/hum sensor adds alot more times that not all the usb data will arrive in chunk
(hence the broken lines in your raw data)
its not an easy data protocol to work with

this test version also has the wmr200history log file working, but yet you also have a thumb down and say you are disapointed

from the tone of your emails you have also sent me I offer you a refund on your purchase of WD (email me your paypal email )

Told you I’m quite happy to let it run for a few days. . . Also told you that previous versions often work, so maybe it’s the extra sensor that’s causing the problem.

Thinking about moving the main sensor into screen and doing away with the extra sensor - I’ve only just realised that’s a possibility. It’s currently up a pole with the anemo and exposed to sun and rain.

Looking really good this morning, Brian, thanks.

Now I know that the extra sensor may cause problems with the history data I can deal with that.