Webcams

Not sure where to post this . . .

Anyone got any suggestions/recommendations for a webcam? Never set one up before.

What about setting one up in a room looking through a glass window; for security, it’ll get nicked otherwise! Unfortunately, the direction we would wish to point it in would mean the camera is not right-angles to the glass so there may be reflection problems.

It is the control tower at Old Warden so it is a glass box with a glass roof and yes, it does get hot in there without the aircon running.

If the webcam will be close to the computer you can use a USB connected type device. If the webcam will not be close to the computer then I would recommend either wireless or POE. You probably won’t need PTZ but be careful of night vision…the IR lamps will reflect off the window, so make sure night vision can be disabled. Lastly, depending on the expected “view” the lens used can make a huge difference.

What price range? Webcams can range from under $100 to well over $1k. Give us an idea of how much you want to spend so we can make recommendations.

Thanks.

Am going to try a simply cheapo webcam for starters.

I will not be spending the money but I guess it will not be more than $140/

Should be OK if it’s a single pane window, at an angle on a double pane window would be questionable. You can make a simple shroud out of cardboard to minimize reflections.

It is a double glazed sealed unit but was thinking of a cardboard tube up to the glass.

The other problem I have is, currently, the broadband speed is 0.93 M/b downstream and 0.13 upstream! :slight_smile: We are in the sticks and the original cabling was installed by Alexander Graham Bell on an off day. I doubt that is going to support a camera. It is being looked at.

If you have an old cell phone you might want to give one of the webcam apps a try to see how the view would be. That way you don’t have to spend any money to try it out. I’ve been using one for a few months as a weathercam through my bedroom window. Doesn’t have good nightvision but the daytime pics are great. Here is what it looks like.

Is there a computer close to the projected webcam location? Most USB webcams only have a 6’ cable and I’ve not had much luck going past 15’ with USB cable length.

Thanks all.

Have ordered a very cheap web cam to experiment with. It is not worth getting anything better until they sort the broadband speed.

Yes, there is a PC in the control tower although if we decided to mount the camera outside the cabling will be a bit convoluted. Wi-fi would be the way to go. It’s a glass box as you can see from one the pics here http://oldwardenaerodrome.co.uk/

Dan, i used to use active USB cables, i had 2 at 10m in total length, worked well…

Sounds like a plan. After seeing the control tower with tinted glass I think I would be looking for POE solution. Wifi is ok but you need to have a power source for the webcam, but POE usually provides more options farther away from power source. Good luck on the project. BTW, that looks like a fun location to fly in/out.

I agree, POE, clamp it on that antenna mast, should be safe up there :slight_smile: I don’t know what they are going for in the UK but you can get a nice (Hikvision) POE cam for around $100 here.

Unfortunately in anything stronger than a slight breeze that antenna mast swings about quite a bit! :slight_smile:

The glass is not as heavily tinted as it appears in the pic so will try first with an internal webcam. If it goes outside we will probably fix it to the tower itself.

Thanks

Finally been given approval to buy a camera :roll:

Will there be sufficient power coming out of a standard router for a POE camera (I think it is Netgear) or will I need some kind of POE adapter do people think?

Currently using a

You will need a poe injector to power the cam. You can search Amazon and pick one up for $20-$30.

Doug