2016 Beta versions ready to test!

Hi Everybody,

After a great deal of research and coding the last few weeks, I’ve got a new version to test! The programs that are updated are wxsim.exe, wret.exe, autolearn.exe, and wxsimlite.exe (wxsimate.exe is the same as in the alst release). Thsi time, I’ve packaged them together in an installer, at

www.wxsim.com/2016beta.exe

Just run this to install the beta versions, and if anything goes wrong, you can run www.wxsim.com/wxsimupg.exe to return to the version released in December.

Look in readme2016.txt to see some of what’s new, but there are also changes in WXSIM-Lite. Some of the changes are protections against bad data that has occasionally found its way into all the GFS products recently (usually just one line of bad data out of 80 or so, maybe once a week - but that was enough to cause headaches!). I think these changes will prevent errors, but Sam and I are also working on protections “upstream” so the programs shouldn’t have to deal with it.

I also made some very important changes to the “learning” routines of both WXSIM-Lite and autolearn/wret. These include now being able to use data as much as 2 years old to learn from, which should make things more robust. However, a couple of small bugs were fixed, AND the skews in the analysis caused by these are retroactively corrected in this release. It should isntantly resolve most bias problems which might have existed.

Of course, all this needs testing, so please let me know what you find. In WXSIM-Lite, read the new blue text help (click on it) in the lower right part of the form, about including the last year’s data. In autolearn, note the new check box and the test button.

Thanks for your support, as always!

Tom

I installed and run. There were no problems.
Thanks Tom!
:smiley: :slight_smile:

Marian
http://www.celin-web.com/wdisplay/wxsim.php

Hi

This is my Problem with wxsim actually

Stefan

WXSIM.PNG

No problems here Tom! 8)

Tom,

I have a question about incorporating data from a year ago in WRET.

I notice in WxSim-Lite, there is a checkbox to include last year’s data. However, in actually determining the correlation bias, I run WRET standalone and not AutoLearn. And, for the past couple of years, I run it against the previous 90 days of data. (WxSim-Lite also uses this 90-day span). My question is ‘do I continue to run WRET against that last 90 day span as I have been and that WxSim-Lite will pull in the data needed from a year ago’? In other words, do I just continue running WRET as I have been with no changes?

Thanks,

Steve

Auto-Learn vers. 3 , runtime error occurs in the line 1939 .
Version 2.2 running normally.
I gave up version 3.

#-o

Joined error message.

error_autolearn_1939.jpg

All programs are running fine here.

Thanks. - Jim

Likewise. Thanks!

Just run Learn and I get this error:

Learn.jpg

I got the same error as atsio in autolearn.

Gary

OK, thanks for the feedback so far! As often happens, there may be bugs to fix. :frowning: Your feedback is so important for that!

First, to answer Steve’s question: WXSIM-Lite is completely independent of wret.exe, so its year-old data analysis can and should be done regardless of how or even if you use wret or autolearn. The analysis of old data in autolearn/wret, however, is done differently, as autolearn actually looks through correct.txt for the old correction factors, which is far faster than having wret reanalyze that. In other words, it builds on earlier work. That said, there actually is a way to analyze old data with wret. At the bottom of the form (I think the one with the analysis details in it) there is some kind of More Criteria button. If you click on that, you can specify what months you want analyzed and you can in fact set a longer analysis time and go back a year or more. That method is kind of clumsy, though. The autolearn approach is much faster.

Now about those errors!

The message box was already in the last version, but with much less detail in it. I’d be surprised if the error is being thrown because of the new version, but some of your posts suggest just that. However, the other thread (by Ian) with essentially the same error message predated the new version and was definitely a corrupt .wxf file. I don’t know if that’s the case here or not. To find out, I’ll need more details about what you were doing when the message appeared and what actions you might have taken previously. One is whether ro not you used the Test button.

Also, as the message mentions, a possible reason is a corrupt .wxf file. To find that file, you need to look at details.txt and see what the last .wxf file analyzed was. Usually, either that one or the next one is the culprit. You can move them to some other folder to see if they free up autolearn/wret. If you find the offending file, I’d like to have it (the .wxf file) to see if I can replicate the error. In Ian’s case, it was actually a repeated line (for which I do not know the cause).

Please let me know what you find, and I think I should be able to iron out these problems soon!

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Tom

Is not corrupt files, I checked. Search elsewhere bug.
It happens when we test new versions and it’s better if we cooperate on running the program.
Have patience will be better!

:roll: :wink:

Marian

Working fine for me here.

Chris

With the new version I have the same message reported above by Stegrie, current 2015 version working fine.

Tried the new beta again this morning and all good now after several runs :?. Thanks Tom.

Hi Tom

First of all - thanks for all your great work on this.

Next - I get attached error in wret (same as the others)

Best regards,

Henrik

2016-02-22_084430.jpg

Hi Tom,

installed 2016beta yesterday after several days of running the former version, without any issues.

This morning it came up with two issues:

1. 1939 error

2. GFS data to old…

3. details.txt (last valid run 20160221 - 01:25)

I have tried to run WXSIM-Lite and it completes fine.

I have attached my details.txt - I cannot find any errors in this and two screendumps of error messages.

Hope that you will be able to help me…

Update 20160223
This morning only wret 1939 error.

Another issue on both mine and Henrik’s (Vejret i Silkeborg) - details.txt has not been updated since install on the 21st of February (20160221) - two runs without update.
Hope this can bring you closer to the problem.

And again thanks for alle your great work !!!

Br.

Christian

2016-02-22_084430.jpg

WXSIM_msg.jpg

details.txt (164 KB)

All running fine so far, done 2 auto forecasts without error.
Autolearn will run at 02:00 in the morning - so will see what happens.

My errdep and errdate images still not updating since about 14th of this month. but no errors.

Tony

When i started wxsimlite new version then came the Error “Bad GFS Data”. WXSIMLITE does nothing by any klick.
With the previous Version (1.2) works correctly.

Beta runs fine here.

Thanks
James