500 internal error

DNS may be fixed but when I load my buoy page it tells me there are recent reports…

Buoys look OK to me, no error message and all have reported within the last hour. Can you post a screenshot of what are you seeing?

I attached a screen shot of the latest from my host

#-o Hmmm… stuck in a support-doesn’t-understand loop I see.

But… now your page is getting the

error again so the buoy data is not available.

I suggest you use the following to send to your tech support:

A PHP script runs on my website is having a failure in the PHP built-in function gethostbyname() using

$ip = gethostbyname(“www.ndbc.noaa.gov”);

which uses the well-known NOAA Buoy Data website. $ip should return 140.90.238.27 but instead returns
a network error message:

php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known (0)

This is a problem with the DNS resolver used by my website’s server and needs to be fixed by the system administrator.

Here is a screen shot of what I see…

I sent what you suggested…waiting to hear back

Data is ok for me across the pond at this moment in time.

More info… the issue is likely due to unresponsive DNS responders

The customary timeout for a responder is 2 seconds, so a 4 second total timeout means it is likely that 2 responders failed.
The responders are listed in /etc/resolv.conf as ‘nameserver’ entries. You can use the following script to display that

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />
<title>show-dns</title>
</head>

<body>
<pre>
<?php readfile("/etc/resolv.conf"); ?>
</pre>
</body>
</html>

You might have better luck with tech support if you cite the nameserver IP addresses used by your webserver. If it’s 127.0.0.1, then it is a caching DNS server on your webserver – they may just have to ‘kill -hup ’ to restart it to fix the issue.

Here is the output of the php script…

search eigbox.net int.bizland.net
options timeout:2
options rotate
nameserver 127.0.0.1

That shows it is a caching DNS service on the webserver … it likely needs to be restarted to get it to function correctly again. That is something only the server admin can do. There also may be issues with the up-stream DNS services on other servers in the hoster… again, the server admins must fix.

Well to no surprise…yet another useless response… See attached file

Ummm… the image is of this conversation on this forum… can you post what you received from the tech support of your hoster?

Oh boy…sorry about that…here it is…

wow… :roll:

They have no clue.

I agree, no clue… their scripted response is identical to the prior responses.

Tell them

I KNOW that www.ndbc.noaa.gov is not hosted by you. That is not the problem.
The problem is that the webserver hosting my site is getting a PHP error instead of returning the IP address of www.ndbc.noaa.gov.

As I’d stated before, A PHP script runs on my website is having a failure in the PHP built-in function gethostbyname() using

$ip = gethostbyname(“www.ndbc.noaa.gov”);

which uses the well-known NOAA Buoy Data website. $ip should return 140.90.238.27 but instead returns
a network error message:

php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known (0)

This is a problem with the DNS resolver used by my website’s server and needs to be fixed by the system administrator.

It is a problem ON YOUR WEBSERVER, and the first-level support is avoiding the issue by incorrectly reading the problem description above.
PLEASE… escalate this to second-level technical support for resolution (fixing the caching DNS server associated with my website server).

Server IP: 66.96.161.150

I’d copy [email protected] (manages DNS) and [email protected] (company owning the address space) with the note.

At this point, depending on how much you want to add to your weather site, you may run into the same problem your having now. If it was me, depending on how much I spent for the renewal, Id probably cut my loses and move onto a new host. But that’s just me.

This is what I received from my hoster…

Huh?

My screen shot is in response to this quoted post