Home weather template

Hi Brian,
first of all good job, looks really nice.

And also thanks for explaining why you do it the way you do it - because I was puzzled a little bit why on one hand you always say you don

[quote author=Jachym link=topic=61765.msg494473#msg494473 date=1449756892]
Hi Brian,
first of all good job, looks really nice.

And also thanks for explaining why you do it the way you do it - because I was puzzled a little bit why on one hand you always say you don

And I can also only agree with you. In case of Brian

Wim, All I can say is great job! The only thing I would like to see is a “dark” version where the background is dark.

Hummm…are you talking to Wim from Leuven template ?

if yes,what do you mean by darker version ?

You can select the look and feel in the customize tab

Oppps, didn’t mean to put the Wim in there. Sorry.

Thats what i taught :lol:

Also, just to add to what you were saying, that person would have problems selling this on code canyon because you also use Highcharts which is only free for non-commercial purposes so that person would have to purchase a license for Highcharts. So I think even if you havent discovered it yourself that person would have problems with trying to sell it.

One more thing…

I actually think that we don’t really need to worry about someone selling our templates (be it you, me, Wim or Ken). The reason being, the community of people that have weather stations and want to install templates etc. is not so big and almost everyone knows either this or the WX forum. And so if they discovered your or any other template on Code Canyon and similar, they would surely know who is the author. Or even if they did not, someone else from the forum could see their page, or they could put a link or mention it there and then others would see that your footer is missing, they would ask and if that person said they bought it from Code Canyon from person XY, the word would quickly spread and someone would inform the real author.

I agree with Jachym about not worrying about someone repackaging and selling my templates … all my stuff is free, and freely offered to weather enthusiasts who can find use for it for their own personal weather websites. I, very deliberately, did NOT include anything in the template or support scripts that can ‘phone home’ to let me know an instance is working… I’m a strong believer in ‘pull’, not ‘push’, so the template check-fetch-times.php?show=versions script can compare current script versions to available script versions and offer the suggestion for how to get the set of updates needed from my updates tool page. All ‘pull’ technology from the viewpoint of the weather website admin.

For your own sanity, Brian, I’d suggest you remove the tracker code and consider implementing a downloadable package (.zip) with a single settings file for customization, and if you’re game, a version checker that can optionally run to help folks keep the scripts at your current released versions. It’s worked quite well for me (and for users of the Saratoga template, when they so choose to use it).

Best regards,
Ken

:thumbright: Ken
:thumbright: Wim

hi ken
we haven’t spoke before this is totally been misintepreted its not a call to home script in fact there is nothing in the template that calls home (to any of my domains i own), it is merely a reversed date of issue , and station ID and my name buried in the jQuery , nothing calls home there is no need , simply to create a simple reverse text try this nekolleh goto http://www.textreverse.com to un reverse it , its that simple but when you increase the text length throw in some symbols its hard to read and find in amongst a load of minified jQuery . i don’t know what I have done wrong but a select few just continuously think its something else . its such a shame , i don’t go around on any forum criticising or assuming about anything i don’t use or know about. each to their own and I respect other peoples work and I don’t judge or assume anything about those.

if this is the nature of posts Im going to get so be it ill leave you guys to carry on creating websites and other fascinating technical stuff.i really don’t feel I have done anything absurd or wrong and the simple fact someone assumed or totally misinterpreted that there is a call to home script , because nowhere have I once stated or mentioned a call to home function or script . if i did i would make people aware prior to using it ,but the simple fact it doesn’t exist and neither will it in the future.

and Jachym thank you ,you shown your true colors and rather childish , thanks for ruining this thread…

.eracekathsilgneniyasewsanislegyalokhsikrutniyasewsa reverse this … take care brian…

I really cant believe this… we all tried to just express our opinion, nowhere have I stated that your script is “calling home” - all me and Wim were saying is that you should just ignore that minority who do not behave in the best way… but OK honestly Brian? You know what I think? I think it is actually you who behaves like a child all the time… I thought this long time ago, but I would not say it like this have you not called me childish…
For example, do you really enjoy saying “this is the end of development for now, sorry, Im too busy” only to come back two days later? Do you really need to delete threads you dont like only to create them again the next day? Or even delete the entire website so that you can upload it again two days later? Sounds familiar? Is it really necessary to try to grab attention to oneself all the time this way? … that is what I call childish and now you have just proven i was right… people trying to help you or give advice and you insulting them and the absurd thing is that it was in fact YOU who is talking BS… not Ken, me or Wim… I have never said that you are “calling home” and instead you say I ruined “your” thread… I really have to laugh… you know what, delete it, and then create it again tomorrow like you always do… Btw. I think I know quite well why you actually insulted me… it was because Ken and Wim are older and everyone here respects them so you wouldn’t have the guts to say something to them, whereas in case of me it is different.

P.S. I will rather not even mention what you did to me in the past as I don’t want to be like you, trying to insult people and grab attention to oneself all the time. And one last thing… if you care so much about copyright then maybe you should respect it as well - http://www.wunderground.com/wunderstation - here is “your” template.

Please don’t react to this. I am not interested in your opinion and I would not express mine unless I had to defend myself.

Ok, that was my bad interpretation of what was going on with your change to jQuery script (which is more like steganography to hide something inside something else). It’s not a ‘phone home’, so I retract what I’d said about implying a ‘phone home’ concerning your script(s)… sorry!

I do stand by my other points about freely offering source, not worrying about what others do with it (or if they remove credits) – my part of the hobby is sharing my discoveries, and if others can use it, so much the better.

I’m not sure what your concern is about ‘this is the nature of posts’ – forums are a free-form medium where (generally) constructive/non-hostile comments are encouraged and appreciated, while personal belittlement is actively discouraged. I’ve seen nothing to cause your comment about Jachym to be done – his comments have been thoughtful and non-childish (IMHO) in the first two pages of these posts.

interesting… maybe you should read what you just posted and replace my name with yours… and to finish this - we never had any problem on this forum before. I have never had any problems with anyone, no-one was insluting others etc. As soon as you joined the forum here I thought to myself… oh no… but I must admit I expected it to take longer before problems arise… And it is really absurd that you don’t see it was you yourself who started insulting others…

Looks like he went offline for good…
I got an email from him today with the following:

[responder]

this mailbox is no longer valid or monitored

if you are requesting a weather template they are no longer available …

[/responder]

I thought his approach of releasing his code was going to eventually get to him and overwhelm him.

yupp…got 6 of them…

this mailbox is no longer valid or monitored

if you are requesting a weather template they are no longer available …
:roll:

Interesting that he hex coded the footer html to try to keep people from removing it. Really seems hung up on preventing this from something that was given away for free.

One last thing Brian, to put things into context

Yes you are right, you don’t know my template. And now try to think about why I know and ever got involved with yours.

Maybe try to remember whether there was somebody in the past who you have contacted asking for help and who despite being quite busy always offered it to you and helped you without hesitation, never refusing it, ignoring it or being rude or arrogant in any way. If you cannot remember let me know, I have those emails in my mailbox too…

Ishhhhh 8O