Missing RAOB data site moved....rucsoundings

Hello all and Merry Christmas!!
Hoping someone can point me to which data I should use for WXSIM. I received the message the data has moved but now can’t find the right data to import into WXSIM. Any help we be most appreciated!
Thanks!
Paul C

Hi Paul,

Merry Christmas to you, too!

What message did you see, exactly? Just need a little more info. :slight_smile:

Tom

Hi Tom,
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! It just looks like the old site pushes me to the new one When I go out to get the soundings at
http://rucsoundings.noaa.gov/ and I am not sure which data to grab. I tried the BAK40 for PTW and copied that over to Wxsim but I get the message No RAOB data available

Let me know what I am doing wrong - thanks so much!
Paul

Hi Paul,

OK, I see now! They made changes on December 16 and seem to have discontinued this data block. I just wrote to them asking (politely) if they would consider reinstituting it. In the past, they referred to it as being for the SHARP program, and maybe hardly anybody uses that anymore, but I guess maybe they didn’t know about WXSIM!

I’ll post something here when I hear back about this!

Tom

Thanks Tom!
Happy Holidays to you and yours!

Anything new Tom…still missing data during download

Thanks!
Paul

I just got an email a couple days ago from the site admin for the RUC sounding stuff, telling me that, unfortunately, they’re not going to continue that particular chunk of data. So far, I don’t know of another source. This was a “FAA604” format TTAA block, like RAOB data, but this was model data instead, so that in some cases it was more timely or location-specific. It’s not a great loss, but it’s too bad they didn’t keep it going. I’ll have my eye out for a substitute. Meanwhile, the current combination of RAOB and GFS data works quite well.

Tom

Thanks Tom!